No Planning Problem then?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Motorists heading into London are dealing with another morning of disruption because the M1 motorway remains closed southbound. It was damaged by a fire at a scrapyard on Friday and work has continued throughout the weekend to try to make it safe. Basically the concrete structure appears to have been " cooked " by the fire' s intensity. Who on earth permitted a scrapyard complete with gas cylinders etc to be sited under a motorway?
Want to build a conservatory on to your house----lots of planning permission obstacles to be negotiated.:(
Want to site poorly controlled incendiary material under a motorway- no problem apparently. :wallbash:

BBC News - Roads Minister Mike Penning: Damage to M1 'very serious'

Travel chaos as engineers assess damage to M1 from fire - Telegraph

Industry review after M1 fire chaos | News

Maybe they didn't receive any objections, even from those blessed with 20/20 hindsight?

Without reading the links.. somehow I find it difficult to conceive of a scrap yard owner applying for planning permission for anything. :D

We've worked with assorted seemingly mild mannered business clients who take a pretty cavalier approach to their statutory obligations..

It's a shame that none of the articles covered the full interview that was on Radio 4 this morning, which was much more informative. There seems to have been something there that shouldn't have been, as even gas bottles wouldn't apparently account for the damage to the structure.

Also consider what goes on business-wise under viaducts and in railways arches...

The Beeb News suggested there may have been a large quantity of 'cooking oil' stored there which fueled the fire. An illicit bio-diesel plant run by a scrapman? Sshhurely not

The Beeb News suggested there may have been a large quantity of 'cooking oil' stored there which fueled the fire. An illicit bio-diesel plant run by a scrapman? Sshhurely not
scrap yard owners are not allowed to store more than a few litres of fuel so have to either run their cars and machinery off it or pay someone to take it away.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few kept a quiet gallon or two (hundred) back in case they need it for something (zombie apocalypse springs to mind).

While the Daily Mail will wail, and everyone points fingers, how many of these type premises are there, either railway arches or under flyovers, and how many times have we seen an issue like this.

Yes it's a pain, and if there was something there that should not have been, not good. But a bit pf perspective would be good. nothing will ever be 100% safe, unless it's just not done at all.

May just be me...
japanese-highway-before-and-after.jpg

but those two don't look like the same stretch of road... the trees have changed and the electricity masts aren't there...
M.

May just be me...

but those two don't look like the same stretch of road... the trees have changed and the electricity masts aren't there...
M.

Could be. The pylons are moving off to the left so could be the same road further along a bit. More something amusing than anything though!

It is the same stretch of road, the trees are the same and the pylons are just cut off in the second photo.

Of course filling in a large hole in a road will have been rather easier than building a new motorway bridge.

May just be me...

M.

Yes they are, you can see the pylon in the distance.

Time for a visit to speccies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom