Non Compliant ULEZ Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I never seem to follow the herd. Most people are selling their older non-compliant car and buying newer. I bought a 1982 W123 which will be ULEZ-free in 12 months. So I’ll just drive it sparingly between October 21 and March 22, avoiding as many cameras as possible.
The problem with using the classic Mercedes approach to circumvent ULEZ regulations is one of a sufficient supply of decent REASONABLY priced cars with the passage of time. If more people adopt this approach of running older cars and the number of such cars in cities increases that loophole will be firmly closed to the disadvantage of classic enthusiasts. On the other hand more and more car owners of the most up-to-date ICE models laden with equipment to make them emission compliant are finding their longevity questionable judging by the failure levels of NOx sensors adblue tanks ETC described on here. If only there was a low maintenance method of vehicle propulsion that shifts [but not removes] emissions away from the urban environment where short journeys are the norm. ;)

Hi , I cannot understand why government agencies are so easily fooled by car manufactures.

The Stop Start system has never worked correctly on 99% on cars.

We are all lead to believe how clean the new cars are. My local Mercedes dealer has told me that they cannot obtain emissions reading on new cars ! ( Faulty computers )

Hi , I cannot understand why government agencies are so easily fooled by car manufactures.

The Stop Start system has never worked correctly on 99% on cars.

We are all lead to believe how clean the new cars are. My local Mercedes dealer has told me that they cannot obtain emissions reading on new cars ! ( Faulty computers )
Are you sure about the stop/start only working on 1% of cars?
I must be the luckiest bloke alive if that’s a fact!

Are you sure about the stop/start only working on 1% of cars?
I must be the luckiest bloke alive if that’s a fact!
Hi , so you are saying that when you switch on your engine first thing in the morning and stop at traffic lights , junctions , roundabouts until you get home your engine always turns it's self off automatically.

Hi , so you are saying that when you switch on your engine first thing in the morning and stop at traffic lights , junctions , roundabouts until you get home your engine always turns it's self off automatically.
99% of the time😉

I thought you were agreeing and realised to the suggestion that the stop start was 99% faulty you were saying it's 99% correctly.

Although 99% of the comments I've read are 100% sure they don't want it.

I thought you were agreeing and realised to the suggestion that the stop start was 99% faulty you were saying it's 99% correctly.

Although 99% of the comments I've read are 100% sure they don't want it.
How would they know they don’t want it if it doesn’t work 99% of the time?
Hardly a nuisance at those levels, some people eh?

Hmm ...more odd & confusing comments.

To my occasional frustration the stop/start on my Blue Efficiency 2011 S212 E220 CDI works fine (99% of the time).;)

Original bold claims re emissions &/or efficiency mean little & it is not ULEZ compliant.

Fond of my car......... but glad I didn't buy it new in 2011 in the belief I was saving the planet or likely to have many years of cost effective UK urban motoring.

I run mine on V power (not 99) ;).............(I understand your post btw)

As a pedestrian, I can confirm that Start/Stop works on the majority of cars (in London, anyway). You can hear the engines start when cars crawl in traffic or after stopping at the lights or pedestrian crossing.

Mrs MJ's car has four named drivers, myself included. I am the only one who switches-off the Start/Stop at the start of the journey - the other three drivers just don't see the point in switching it off.

And last, Fred Frugal who buys a second-hand Diesel car and spends most of his time monitoring the mpg, will marvell at this technological achievement that helps save him some fuel.

And, we should keep in mind that Internet automotive forums tend to be populated by petrolheads, aficionados, enthusiasts, etc... we're just not a representative sample of the common motorists.

As a pedestrian, I can confirm that Start/Stop works on the majority of cars (in London, anyway). You can hear the engines start when cars crawl in traffic or after stopping at the lights or pedestrian crossing.

Mrs MJ's car has four named drivers, myself included. I am the only one who switches-off the Start/Stop at the start of the journey - the other three drivers just don't see the point in switching it off.

And last, Fred Frugal who buys a second-hand Diesel car and spends most of his time monitoring the mpg, will marvell at this technological achievement that helps save him some fuel.

And, we should keep in mind that Internet automotive forums tend to be populated by petrolheads, aficionados, enthusiasts, etc... we're just not a representative sample of the common motorists.
Well said.

The missing piece here is that most of that wretched stop/start technology is focussed at City driving where cars are stationery at key points for long periods of time. (Due to cretinous Local Government road planning) So in places like Putney High Street, Marylebone Road, Lewisham, and other lethal pollution hotspots, there is a genuine local pollution benefit. For driving two miles to a pub in Suburbia, not so much.

Can't get overly bothered about switching off StopStart myself - I find a warning wiggle of the brake or steering wheel brings the power back on if I think I need a brisk start.

Aah Lewisham. Were they demolished a perfectly good roundabout to build a completely dysfunctional H junction just so they could build a load of ugly tower blocks in the middle and make a packet from the developers.

You could probably pick up a 2011 S class quite cheap - they were EURO6.
Hi , needs checking out but I have a feeling that the first registration date is important.

I think 1/9/2015 for Euro 6 diesel cars is OK but similar car registered last day in August is not.

Hi , I was incorrect regarding stop start.

I have recently been on a run from the West Midlands to the south coast keeping to national speed limit.

Stop start did not work.

I have just driven into Wales driving very slowly end up at the dams in Mid Wales.

Stop start worked perfectly 85% of the junctions.

Slight hang up was in Hereford that the stop start cut in at a about at the same time I pressed the go peddle , stuttered , lift off go peddle and press go peddle and it drove off perfectly.

Not sure what caused that issue but keeping an eye on the problem.

The registration date of the car isn’t important, plenty of Euro 6 BMWs and Mercedes from 2013, and stop start only works if you don’t have the aircon etc running and using too much energy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom