Oil leak. M642 again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What kind of hours/pay on offer? 😂
$35 hr to start , rising to 40/hr after 90 day probation period & satisfactory job performance review .
Hours 8,30 to 6,00, 5 days per week. I hour lunch break (1 til 2.)
Tuercas Viejas

Count me out . I charge for my lunch breaks unless I have to leave site. 👍
Haha
Some of my guys would call you a pampered Limey (Gringo mimado) :D

Tuercas viejas

$35 hr to start , rising to 40/hr after 90 day probation period & satisfactory job performance review .
Hours 8,30 to 6,00, 5 days per week. I hour lunch break (1 til 2.)
Tuercas Viejas
Ok, I am definitely in the wrong job. I may have to emigrate 🤔

Hi,

My car is currently in the main dealer for investigation of an oil leak. 2012 ML350 cdi, 56k miles.
The car drips oil onto the drive and I have had the under-tray off and it is full of dirty oil.
They have rang me to advise that the oil is coming from the seal around the air inlet to the turbo. Now, I do not believe this for a number of reasons; the inlet pipe from the air filters to this o-ring have obviously been changed as they have a manufactured date of 2017, I would expect the gasket to be of similar vintage and in good condition. Secondly I cannot see how this much oil should originate from this gasket as it should only see light vapour through the PCV valve.
Can anybody say whether my suspicions are correct on this or can this gasket indeed produce such a volume of oil?
I am pretty annoyed as this type of seal isn't covered by the approved used warranty so I will be footing the bill for the investigation and replacement gasket. (Also annoyed with myself that I didn't check myself as I would not have charged £58 to replace the part!)

Any insight before I go to pick it up in a couple of hours would be really welcome.

Cheers,
Martyn
Oil cooler problem?

Ok, I am definitely in the wrong job. I may have to emigrate 🤔
If you are good there's a free company LANDROVER and my top earners get a free week at the company appartment on Tybee Island.
Tuercas Viejas

If you are good there's a free company LANDROVER and my top earners get a free week at the company appartment on Tybee Island.
Tuercas Viejas
You must have people dying to work there. Here I’m lucky if I get a lift to work in the company van. 😂

You must have people dying to work there. Here I’m lucky if I get a lift to work in the company van. 😂
Strangely enough No.
First they must pass a skill' test, You Tube grads and DIY wannabes usually fail within a first few hours.
The biggest issue is finding critical thinkers, who have proven skills ,like accurate diagnosis and electric knowledge & module programming etc
The USA has tech schools which cost serious money to get a certification, most do not want to invest in themselves .
So the "fish in the pond only" have few dedicated species swimming about amongst the minnows .

The best techs these day are usually Latinos from Mexico.
Mexico has some very comprehensive auto training programs and it turns out some highly skilled techs.
So these guys often run rings around US techs and would demolish Brit techs with the gained knowledge right out of school.
These days after Trump's "war" on Latinos, its hard to find someone legally allowed to come into the US as a skilled worker.
Even those allowed in with specials need skills, incur a 50% employment tax tariff, so things aren't too easy hooking a skilled species.
Tuercas Viejas

Strangely enough No.
First they must pass a skill' test, You Tube grads and DIY wannabes usually fail within a first few hours.
The biggest issue is finding critical thinkers, who have proven skills ,like accurate diagnosis and electric knowledge & module programming etc
The USA has tech schools which cost serious money to get a certification, most do not want to invest in themselves .
So the "fish in the pond only" have few dedicated species swimming about amongst the minnows .

The best techs these day are usually Latinos from Mexico.
Mexico has some very comprehensive auto training programs and it turns out some highly skilled techs.
So these guys often run rings around US techs and would demolish Brit techs with the gained knowledge right out of school.
These days after Trump's "war" on Latinos, its hard to find someone legally allowed to come into the US as a skilled worker.
Even those allowed in with specials need skills, incur a 50% employment tax tariff, so things aren't too easy hooking a skilled species.
Tuercas Viejas
Wow, it’s a refreshing change to see someone who values skill and ability over who people know or where they are from. From the sounds of it you must have a very successful shop, and I take my hat off to you sir.

Wow, it’s a refreshing change to see someone who values skill and ability over who people know or where they are from. From the sounds of it you must have a very successful shop, and I take my hat off to you sir.
Well is it was easy everyone would be doing it!
Its a hard business to remain competitive in .
The auto business is changing faster than you can train.

The next challenge is the EV market and its already started in this year 2021 and I see a lot of interesting stuff emerging over the next 5 years.
Its going to turn the auto repair business on its head for sure.

The independent shop is going to have a hard time competing with lower revenues . Many will go out of business.
It reminds me of a green garage door which had been painted over as a sign, probably written at the turn of the 19th century .
As a kid I read the impression under the paint.
Williams & Flowers. Ostlers & Horse Factors. Gloucester.
Asking my dad prostrate over a Vauxhall Wyvern with a fag in his mouth was the answer :- Don't ask such bloody stupid questions!
Things have changed, and you change evolve or go extinct !
Tuercas viejas

Time to resurrect my thread.
Car has been in for it's MOT today. Unfortunately it has failed due to a "Major oil leak", so, no surprise that they failed to fix it in February by replacing the turbo seal. (I came over all "I told you so"!) If fact when they came back to me a bit later it has TWO oil leaks, one from the engine and one from the transfer box area. So now I am sitting with a £243 bill for investigations to see if the Warranty will pay for one or both of the leaks. Pretty sure the engine one is oil cooler "seals" so won't be covered, the transfer box one also worries me as I have no idea how much fluid I have been driving around with.

I hope someone can give a bit of insight; do we have any MOT testers here?
Below is a screenshot from the MOT checker, as can be seen one of the fails is a Major, i.e. I have no option but to leave the car with the dealer for repair (fingers crossed on the warranty claim!).
The question is, to constitute a Major failure surely it has to be bad enough that I would have found transmission fluid on my drive, I have not found any. Also, wouldn't the transfer case only hold about 0.5ltrs of fluid? If this is the case a Major leak would not take long to make it dangerously low, should I be worried.
I may be over thinking this, but as the fluid in the transfer box is not under pressure, and the only place it can really leak from is the front driveshaft output (the only point low enough to be submerged) how the hell can it have a leak that is "leaking continuously and likely to pose a serious risk to road safety" for any period of time?Capture.JPG

Too late now, but a relatively easy way to check for oil passing the turbo spigot seal is to wipe a clean paper tissue under it.

When replacing these I wipe down with white spirit, and apply a bead of silicon on the inner and outer surfaces before reassembly.
That assumes the seal hasn't expanded and become deformed due to oil passing.

To my mind if you had that much oil passing that seal, as originally diagnosed, the engine would be shot and you would see smoke from the exhaust.
That would cause DPF problems.
All unlikely at 58k miles.

Good luck with the oil cooler seals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom