OM642 350 CDI - you should check this part out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You can't.

Oh ye of little faith
NbnZrk

Untitled by , on Flickr
Untitled by , on Flickr

It was £2.70 so forgive me being 30p out.
2bS65QQ

I also have changed since then the smaller seal on the intake pipe and the two oval seals by the filters.

MA6420940180 is £13 at mb and on ebay , i suspect a mistake by the parts dept there. ?? result for you - well done.

MA6420940180 is £13 at mb and on ebay , i suspect a mistake by the parts dept there. ?? result for you - well done.

He did triple check it before selling it to me at that price. Bonus for those of us who live near Ascot I guess!!

i changed both orange seals 20 months ago - Is is time to change them again - I thought the latest version of the turbo seal does not disintegrate?

+ 17.50 euro shipping and 5 euro low order cost if you buy just 1 .

Yes but the cost/sale price is still the price. ;)

I've priced the part up here from the main dealer and it's £2.44 including vat.

Oh well. Me and everyone else who paid £13 will keep Lewis Hamilton on track for another year.

What symptoms were you getting?

Thanks

Intermittent power loss. Sometimes it would go into an engine safe mode where it wouldnt rev beyond 3k. It would also confuse the gearbox when in the safe mode. Replacing all the seals and cleaning the air filters out seems to have remedied it for now.

£17 for both gaskets at M B
Belfast ( that’s the 2 orange ones )

The new bigger one was totally different to the old one I took out , the old one has little it no lip at the big end with the new one having quite a bit ring / lip
around it. Far better fit as the lip pushed nice and even up against the flange.

Reviving an old thread.

I picked up the turbo intake seal (MA6420940180) from the MB dealers in Portsmouth today for £2.94. Price has increased but still cheaper than other places.

It wasn't a kit with two seals, they check twice and said my car (MY2016 C207 E350) didn't have a second orange seal on the PCV hose (?). I hope I'm getting this right, I know very little about engines. I checked under the engine cover before I drove to the MB dealer, and there is another orange seal coming in from the drivers side (off-side).

After reading posts on various forums and watching Youtube videos, I was prepared to undo several jubilee clips on each end of the MAF, but was surprised to find two small clamps on each side which I was able t o undo without needing any tools. I loosened the jubilee clip around the turbo intake seal and the MAF came away.

All the pictures and videos I've watch show the seal attached to the the turbo intake, mine was attached to the MAF. It was removed and replaced easily, no need for lube :)

My car is in limp mode, MAF errors for diagnosed by an Indy months ago and we're still waiting for the part to come in to stock. After read various posts about limp mode, I decided to check if the seal has leaked and damaged the swirl flap motor (something I only read about yesterday). Luckily the seal hadn't leaked and they was no "oil" on the 4 pin connector. I picked up a 4.7k Ohm resistor earlier, so decided to use it anyway. It didn't make and difference and car is still in limp mode.

Driving daughter to Uni this weekend to start her first year, timing couldn't have been worse. I don't have access to a second car, so it'll be a rental.

Be careful fitting the new fatter seal to older 320 V6's.
The air filter isn't designed to take it and the new seal can cause the surrounf to break.

The new seal will go but needs some support of the jubillee clip when pushing back on.
After removing \ replacing this a few times over the years I've found it much simpler to align the Turbo intake seal as well as the air intake Y-tube joints if you remove the bolts from the two airboxes first. This allows a little play in all the joints so that they can all be lined up together and the jubilee's tightened. Then just refit the two airbox mounting bolts.

Having recently had a slight issue of the car suffering intermittent power loss so I had it scanned at our excellent local indy STAR in Caversham. Typical that nothing came up. Anyway we thought the worst and that it could be gearbox related but Ian at STAR said it was more likely engine related as the gearbox would leave a stored code if it had become faulty. I decided to do some old school home mechanics and wanted to check the MAF sensors out. As I took the the assembly off where the MAF sensors lived I also removed the air filters which had picked up some summer debris. The was easily removed so on to the cleaning the MAF sensors out - in their infinite wisdom MB decided that the twin MAF sensors should be non-removable and form part of a £500 plus piece of plastic. Fortunately in some respects as I removed this I could see an orangey red seal that looked like this...
247195d1352774626-oil-leaks-2007-ml-320cdi-seal-leak-area.jpg

(Library Pic)

This seal was failing and just starting to let oil through. A thorough clean of everything with a non solvent degreaser around that area and a healthy spray of switch cleaner on to the MAF sensors has the car running beautifully again. The seal was £2.40 or so and the guy at the dealership said it was an extremely common part to be replaced.
So if you have this engine or the earlier 320 CDI then my advice is to check this part and replace it every couple of years - its a 10 minute job at most and is incredibly easy to do. If you don't attend to it and it is leaking then the oil will contaminate the swirl flap motor and you'll have a £500 or so fix required.
Thought I'd share this anyway...
Good write up 👍🏻

Did you leave MAF sensors in situ when you cleaned them or did you manage to get them out some how?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom