Only in America

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Heh it's silly isn't it?

One of the things the USA has got right is home protection, not like the UK where the burglars have more rights than the owners. Shoot to kill I say!

A Good Ol Boy from the US Forum said:
Gosh I just love the feel of the Glock in your hand, have not felt a fire arm like it.

Am I the only one who is a little weirded out by this?

Its times like this when you realise there really are pretty major differences between Europeans and Americans!

They may have home protection right but you dont need a gun to protect your home.

We have enough gun crime without them being legal here.

"""""A 12mm WatsonHoolly Magnum ("...guaranteed to dismember a man at 500 yards!") doesn't do you a whole lot of good if you can't hit sh!t with it, or are afraid to shoot it.""""""

Frightening.

John

Thmsshaun said:
They may have home protection right but you dont need a gun to protect your home.

We have enough gun crime without them being legal here.
We have more gun crime now handguns are illegal, so that makes no sense. All that happened when handguns were made illegal was the gov't lost track of who owned guns here.

There is a club you can join in the USA, you must be trained/certified/licenced, own a gun and be prepared to shoot-to-kill if an intruder breaks into your home. If you shoot and indeed kill the intruder (which is legal btw) you get a $10k reward from the club. You pay a joining fee and you get a few stickers to put on the house windows etc. Needless to say they have never paid out! That is an excellent deterrent if you ask me!

Shude said:
That is an excellent deterrent if you ask me!

I must disagree and there are far more fatalities from so called accidental shootings. Boy do I get angry when you see footage of a grieving parent saying it wasn't their fault that a child was killed whilst playing with this so called deterrent. WHOSE FAULT was it????? Burglars do not usually worry about being caught and surely to act as a deterrent the home owner must display the weapon??

In Great Britain gun crime is a problem, but as usual you can wave statistics about and make them mean anything. Suffice it to say that criminals would never have got their guns legally even with the older firearms law. I personally am proud of our attitude towards firearms and would hate to see us go the American way.

I still remember the incident relating to the two drunken Scots men who were 'lawfully' shot dead when they merely banged on the door of a US resident to allegedly ask for directions??

John

It was probably easier to shoot them than give them directions all the way back to Scotland :D

No, seriously, the Yanks have it all wrong wrt guns. "Bowling for Columbine"

glojo said:
Boy do I get angry when you see footage of a grieving parent saying it wasn't their fault that a child was killed whilst playing with this so called deterrent. WHOSE FAULT was it?????
John

The owner of the gun for not exorcising proper control and safety, plain and simple. The gun is merely a tool, and like any tool, if you don't use it properly you get hurt.

If you're not responsible enough to look after it properly, don't have it. Perhaps if they had been responsible enough to educate their children that it is not a toy, safe gun handling etc etc...

DolphiN Tech said:
The owner of the gun for not exorcising proper control and safety, plain and simple. The gun is merely a tool, and like any tool, if you don't use it properly you get hurt.

If you're not responsible enough to look after it properly, don't have it. Perhaps if they had been responsible enough to educate their children that it is not a toy, safe gun handling etc etc...

agreed...its not that much more dangerous than leaving a young child at home with a open cub of bleech and detergents. Or with many of todays cheap toys with swallowable parts. :mad:

They are obviously on a different planet ('planet america') - orbiting a different star - in a different galaxy.
Les

I am a seasoned gun and enjoy going for a walk with my 3 dogs, at all hours of the day and night.

Before we go on I do not need anyone to tell me the conditions of a shotgun licence and firearm certificate as I have had both for many years and I already know when, how & what I am allowed to shoot and the storage rulings.

I do not like the idea of loaded shotgun in my home; I could only imagine the personal torture that I would have if one of my children hurt themselves accidentally. The thought of such an accident prevents me from even considering the possibility of having a loaded weapon (I do not consider firearms or shotguns to be weapons unless that is the intended use) in my home.

I employ 3 fail safes to ensure my children (25 month, 12 year, 15 year and 18year olds) can not assemble a loaded gun.

Cabinet: Bolts/pins removed, triggers locked

Ammo box: Ammo

Misc Box: Paper work, bolts, pins, chokes and ammo diary.

Safety is my paramount concern when it comes to the above, anyone who has children here, will know what I am saying is true. How can you possible stop a toddler who is on say an xmass present hunt from going in to dad’s sock draw and finding it? How long do you think it would take a 4 year old to turn off the safety?

Net result what is the most deadly a loaded pistol in the home or a burglar.

SportsCoupeRich said:
agreed...its not that much more dangerous than leaving a young child at home with a open cub of bleech and detergents. Or with many of todays cheap toys with swallowable parts. :mad:

Hi SportsCoupeRich,
I agree with what you are saying and parents MUST take responsibility and not pretend these things are 'accidents'. However taking bleach or other poisons are not as serious as :eek: (i do appreciate the dangers of bleach) a child going to school with 'Dads' gun! Young children do not know better, they see cartoons where goodies shoot baddies and everyone cheers when the bad guy gets shot. Leaving a gun where a child can get hold of it is a recipe for a disaster. The responsibility rests with the parent pure and simple.

As has been said leaving strong medication laying about is criminal and again the responsibility rests with the parent. I say again, there are far more ""accidental"" shootings than justifiable shootings of burglars. Yes a gun is merely a hunk of metal, however it has 'image' and it would be an irresistible toy to a young child.

I would expect the great majority of children would have no idea of how to break the weapon, make it safe, or remove the magazine, but I bet my pension that they all know how to pull a trigger.

I am simply saying that ANYONE who possesses a firearm MUST take the full and ultimate responsibility for it at ALL times.

I have no time to listen to pathetic excuses about how the gun is usually locked away.

Regards,
John

glojo said:
I have no time to listen to pathetic excuses about how the gun is usually locked away.

And that is just what it is, it takes 10 min after use to clean, oil and make safe.

On one or two occasions I have had to carry a pistol in my line or work, on returning home we always ensured they where made safe. This I consider is a matter of good housekeeping, why Americans can not establish housekeeping rules surrounding guns is beyond me.

Last edited by a moderator:
zooman said:
why Americans can not establish housekeeping rules surrounding guns is beyond me.

Hi zooman,
;) We are singing from the same hymn sheet, and I agree 100% with every word you have wrote, but unfortunately only the sensible will listen.

Like yourself I am not an 'anti' I am just 'anti' idiots and cringe at the flippant attitude of how some folks treat firearms.

I stare in amazement when I see on the news American Police surrounding a car, all of the officers pointing their weapons towards the centre!! No doubt the bullets would recognize the 'cops from the robbers' :eek:

John

glojo said:
I stare in amazement when I see on the news American Police surrounding a car, all of the officers pointing their weapons towards the centre!! No doubt the bullets would recognize the 'cops from the robbers' :eek:

John

No, that'll just be natural selection taking it's course :D

I'm just waiting to see how many people will be getting screamed at about their gun safety on the UKPSA course this weekend :rolleyes:

Ah, you lot should go to Knob Creek someday. That will really reinforce your views, pro or anti.

I have been shooting since I were a lad and it worried me!

www.machinegunshoot.com

glojo said:
Hi SportsCoupeRich,
I agree with what you are saying and parents MUST take responsibility and not pretend these things are 'accidents'. However taking bleach or other poisons are not as serious as :eek: (i do appreciate the dangers of bleach) a child going to school with 'Dads' gun! Young children do not know better, they see cartoons where goodies shoot baddies and everyone cheers when the bad guy gets shot. Leaving a gun where a child can get hold of it is a recipe for a disaster. The responsibility rests with the parent pure and simple.

As has been said leaving strong medication laying about is criminal and again the responsibility rests with the parent. I say again, there are far more ""accidental"" shootings than justifiable shootings of burglars. Yes a gun is merely a hunk of metal, however it has 'image' and it would be an irresistible toy to a young child.

I would expect the great majority of children would have no idea of how to break the weapon, make it safe, or remove the magazine, but I bet my pension that they all know how to pull a trigger.

I am simply saying that ANYONE who possesses a firearm MUST take the full and ultimate responsibility for it at ALL times.

Regards,
John

i agree totally John. My point was merely that it is a matter of responsibility as a whole. Many of us will not have guns but all of us have detergents, rat poisons etc in our homes. And as you say, TV etc is a great influence on children - as is marketing. To a 3yr old child a bottle of bleach may look suprisingly similar to a bottle of their favourite drink (esp. if they are not good readers for their age ;))

Clearly, responsibility lies with the homeowner to ensure that its not just the guns locked away, even if they are clearly more dangerous...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom