OT: IT Help Needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
JIMMY

thats def the MSBLAST virus i had that at home too!

1. on task manager, kill all processes called "MSBLAST.exe"

2. search for all MSBLAST.* files on your harddrive and delete all of them!

3. go to windows update on the microsoft site and download the security patch. this will fix it!

Jimmy,

do you have XP's firewall enabled? That also prevents infection from the net in the first place.

S.

Cheers guys,

I have downloaded a fix from Sophos, will disinfect tonight and install the patch.

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
Jimmy,

do you have XP's firewall enabled? That also prevents infection from the net in the first place.

S.

Is now!

My dial-up connection was firewalled but not my LAN connection, everything is firewalled now!!

Originally posted by jimmy
Ah, I have been having trouble with a XP machine coming up with a warning about 'RPC has initiated a shutdown in 60 seconds'.

This only happens when the computer is connected to a network or the internet, is this the blaster virus that has been mentioned?

I get this message too, but don't even have to be connected to the internet for it to shut down.
I have just installed the SOPHOS fix, but it says there is no MSBLAST.EXE found on my system.:confused:
Also, my msn messenger won't work cos it says I am behind a firewall. Not had any problems (apart from the odd time taking ages to connect) with this before.

Try runing the symantec one to see if it does anything diferent.

I ran the Sophos fix and can confirm I had the Blaster worm, took a dogs age to download the patch for XP. But all fixed now, thanks for the advice.:)

My friend Sp!ke

How do you circumvent the situation when as soon as you log in you PC suddenly has 30 seconds to shutdown?

Dynamo,

For Windows XP....

Start/Run
Type "CMD" and press Enter
Type "shutdown -a" and press Enter.

This should stop the reboots.

Then activate the XP firewall.

Then Ctrl-Alt-Del and click on the processes tab. If there is one for MSBlaster.exe then highlight it and Click End Process. Then run the disinfection tool

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom