payments or not

Will faith be restored in traffic enforcement?

• Will have more faith

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Will not have more faith

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • will not make a difference

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Not bothered

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

recycled

MB Enthusiast
I just want to start this poll to see if members can help me on a little project.
I want to see if people will have more faith in traffic enforcement measures, if the payment aspect was removed.
You still get points, you still go to court, but no more cash fines.
Thanks

Last edited:
I voted will not make a difference as I am more concerned about getting the points and how that affects either keeping my license or how it financially affects my insurance.

I do think that we should be allowed to pay on the spot fines so that all motorists including foreign ones could / would be treated equally.

More faith, I think its the cash (and not safety) that motivates the powers that be to get the police to enforce road traffic law and detect its breaches.

I do think that we should be allowed to pay on the spot fines so that all motorists including foreign ones could / would be treated equally.

actually in european countries, only some foreigners pay on the spot fines (some are by post)
Nationals can still pay later.
In holland there are no points given, but very many sneaky cameras

I think the fine should be related to the ability to pay, I.E. earn more pay more!
So didn't vote as no option for that.

In what relation to your wages will that be enforced? and you could be owing money due to home improvements loan and then be stung with a £10000 fine, and car owners can always get an unemployed guy to say they were driving

Last edited:
In what relation to your wages will that be enforced? and you could be owing money due to home improvements loan and then be stung with a £10000 fine, and car owners can always get an unemployed guy to say they were driving

Based on how much you earn:confused:
Don't get the home improvement bit.
Last bit - that could happen now.

I guess we won't gell on this one ;)

I think the fine should be related to the ability to pay, I.E. earn more pay more!
So didn't vote as no option for that.

Why? Thats unfair. I could argue that a higher earner pays more income tax, hence contributes more the treasury so should pay less to balance things out, or should have the penalty waived altogether. (& I am a basic rate tax payer, not a fat cat before you ask)

Based on how much you earn:confused:
Don't get the home improvement bit.
Last bit - that could happen now.

I guess we won't gell on this one ;)

i meant what percentage ? 50%. 80%
so if you earn 50k a year your fine is 25k good.

If in that period you have 20 home loans to pay and your disposable is only 2k how do you pay?

Last bit could happen now but a fine will still have to be paid.
with your theory, last bit happening now will result in no fines paying.

OOps - can of worms :crazy:

% could be based on disposable income then, after a budget sheet has been done.

In that case you will have to lay your whole financial situation to the court.
No thanks mate.i shall opt out of that

% could be based on disposable income then, after a budget sheet has been done.

Why on earth should the state get the ins and outs of your disposable income. They get to know your gross pay + other income. They should not get to know what you do with your net income.

Agree to disagree here, but I'd rather see motoring crimes punished by points on licence and maybe some community service rather than a fine, even if its an afternoon of picking up litter in a park.

actually in european countries, only some foreigners pay on the spot fines (some are by post)
Nationals can still pay later.
In holland there are no points given, but very many sneaky cameras

Sorry I didn't express myself correctly ... I meant I wish we had the "on the spot" fine system so that anyone without a bona fide address could be fined and therefore none of this "buy a foreign plated car to avoid fines"

Sorry I didn't express myself correctly ... I meant I wish we had the "on the spot" fine system so that anyone without a bona fide address could be fined and therefore none of this "buy a foreign plated car to avoid fines"

Why, what about innocent before proven guilty. Without turning this into a dig about the police the fact is they are not a judge or jury, so why should they get to administer the punishment. What about right of appeal and prepartation of a defence, you can't do that on a roadside.

Pay if you wish, I paid enough..........................

Police chief admits: 'There's too many speed cameras... and some officers are rude'
Too many speed cameras, rudeness and unanswered phones have 'dented and bruised' public confidence in the police, a senior officer said on Friday.
Ian Johnston, President of the Police Superintendents' Association, said officers must focus less on targets, set aside 'pride and ego' and work hard to win back public support.

One of the biggest sources of friction between the public and the police are speed cameras, which are seen as unfair and ineffective in road safety, he added.

'Over half the complaints against the police are about rudeness and incivility and about lack of service. We need to pay attention to that,' he said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cers-rude.html

Why, what about innocent before proven guilty. Without turning this into a dig about the police the fact is they are not a judge or jury, so why should they get to administer the punishment. What about right of appeal and prepartation of a defence, you can't do that on a roadside.

In Europe, when you pay on the spot fines they are in fact just a deposit, you still get your offence heard in court and can opt to attend if you wish, the deposits are based on what the expected fine will be if you are found guilty, if it turns out you are found innocent, or the fine is less you will get a refund, but on the same score, if the fine is bigger you will get a letter through the post. You do not have to pay this deposit, but if you don't you cannot leave the scene until you have had your time in court.

The advantage we have abroad is when we are fined we don't get points whereas the local population go to court and get the fine and points, although with some more serious offences you may get banned from driving in that country for a set time period

In Europe, when you pay on the spot fines they are in fact just a deposit, you still get your offence heard in court and can opt to attend if you wish, the deposits are based on what the expected fine will be if you are found guilty, if it turns out you are found innocent, or the fine is less you will get a refund, but on the same score, if the fine is bigger you will get a letter through the post. You do not have to pay this deposit, but if you don't you cannot leave the scene until you have had your time in court.

Thanks very much for clearing that up.

The advantage we have abroad is when we are fined we don't get points whereas the local population go to court and get the fine and points, although with some more serious offences you may get banned from driving in that country for a set time period

I wish the sterling was stronger vs. the euro and then I could take a wadge of cash, and speed through france @ 140mph and just pay the boys in blue like I'm a corrupt Mafia boss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom