Phaeton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Passats are ok - it's a shame VW don't seem to be able to make a smooth, auto diesel. And the new Passat appears not to be getting any diesel bigger than the 2.0.

An Audi A6 3.0TDi might be worth a test drive. I also think that it looks rather under-stated.....which gets a tick in my book.

I agree, but i have been in and seen too many.... i would like something different...back to the topic...i would snap up a phaeton if they didnt have the wood trim inside...i still have a few months to go yet with the merc

2003's Phaetons now going for around 10K on ebay from traders. OK petrol - they must be one heck of a buy though.

Whewww...thats a hell of a lot 0f metal fora good price!!!!
Nice find. :bannana:

The reason they are such good "value" to buy second-hand is because of their Bentley level running costs once you have it parked on your drive.

are the running costs really bad? I only ask as I've been perusing the big VW on Autotrader, as a replacement to the trusty Mondeo. I don't mind big-ish running costs as long as they are not stupidly high

bear in mind I'm looking at BMW E61 535D's too :D

are the running costs really bad? I only ask as I've been perusing the big VW on Autotrader, as a replacement to the trusty Mondeo. I don't mind big-ish running costs as long as they are not stupidly high

I had a serious look a year ago.

Annual depreciation depends on how old an example you buy. Value is fantastic – one of the most amazing cars for the money in the market. Badge snobs need not apply.

Mechanically the UK editions are common to the VW/Audi range. It is built to an amazing standard in a dedicated factory. Reliability should be very good.

Given the above most garages could cope with most servicing and ‘issues.’ But only some VW dealers offer Phaeton servicing.

The only unique and highly priced components are the suspension – there is a supposed internet myth about 4 air springs being required when one fails – check the VW Vortex forum.

Diagnotics are easy enough if you buy a VAG-COM tool to keep costs down. Probably economic if you plan several years of ownership.

Could you park it legally in a standard space?

I can't speak for others but after 30,000 miles from new mine has needed only routine servicing, which comes out at about £250 per visit.

The suspension replacement issue arises from a mod to the air suspension post-2004 (I think) which requires all four units be updated to current spec if one fails. If asked, VW will replace the other three free of charge so the customer is not hit by the extra cost.

The overall length of the standard car is 16'5" and the LWB four-seater is 16'11". You need those parking assist warnings...

Also look at E320 cdis and E280cdis.

The 535d engine is a stonker performance wise, but the rest of the car as a package isn't as good as an avantgarde or sport E class. We had one on hire (520d) and the interior wasn't as nice, not as spacious or as nicely appointed. The handling was poor (left it for dead on some mountain roads in Scotland) (this was an SE model) so you'd need an Msport as it was too wallowy a car.

Without being offensive a 5 series is a nicer car than your current stead but for the same money you could have a nice E class or an A6 audi. If its a big car you are after Audis A8, BMWs 7 series are also better bets than a 5.

Last edited:
The E60 / E61 is a seriously good car (sorry). I'm running a 520d as a company car right now and chose it over the W211 E220 and Audi A6 2.0 TDI.

The 530d / 535d is a completely different beast. But then having said that it could have been a different outcome if the E280 or E320 was on my list :D

The E60 although quite old now, felt 'fresher' and more modern.

As for M Sport models, try one - they look great but the ride can be a bit too firm and fidgety especially on the optional 19's.

M5s are getting seriously low priced at the minute.

Crazy crazy car

Nearly bought a Phaeton 3 years ago, went to look at a Golf in the main dealer in Liverpool and they had 2 18 month old Phaetons in one with 8K and one with 12K, they were the 3L petrol and only front wheel drive but fully loaded. Turned out they were VW UK directors cars. Absolutely amazing inside, the flip up vents on the dash, comfort entry and the amazing boot hinges!
Most stunning thing though was the depreciation, they were £40K+ new and after 18 months were less than a new Diesel Golf GT at about £17.5K each iirc. Only thing that finally put me off was the fuel consumption I worked out with the distances I was doing at the time I'd have been over £500 a month in petrol.
Ended up buying an A3 Diesel for about £4k more than the Phaetons but got 55mpg out of it. Finally bought a CLS last month and I have to say while it's not got all the bells and whistles of the Phaeton it is so nice to drive it does look great and I got an amazing deal on it.

I went the other way: nearly bought a CLS 500 two years ago but instead preferred the Phaeton. I think it was down to all the things mentioned and I don't do such high miles so the 30+mpg of the 3-litre Cdi Phaeton was an improvement on the 24mpg the E55 was giving (trouble is, couldn't bring meself to part with the Merc and kept it on). Depreciation aside (I bought new), the Phaeton has proved a stunning proposition. More so even, after the fuel remap.

A Phaeton is one of the cars I'd like one day :D

Soon they'll be at the rock bottom prices that I look at LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom