Pioneer head on R230 with Audio Gateway & MOST

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wile_e_coyote

Car
SL350, Smart City Passion, Rapido 749M motorhome on 316 LWB sprinter chassis.
Hi Folks,

I have an SL350, R230 (2006-VIN 2304672F113659) and I want to upgrade the head unit to avail myself of improvements it would bring (up to date mapping mainly). So after a brief check and being told that it was possible, I bought a Pioneer AVIC-F88DAB 2 din head and fitting kit for my car, including steering wheel canbus interface.

As soon as I took my COMAND head unit out, I knew I was in trouble as the connector plugged into it had the MOST optical connector and only three ordinary wires (B+, Ground & Wake-up). So I started looking into it more and found out through WIS that because my car has a 6 cd changer, I also have an Audio Gateway (AGW) which contains the AM/FM tuner & amplifiers. This drives the speakers and is connected to CAN-B (interior) and also to the CD changer (which I no longer need) and COMAND head unit via MOST. There is no separate amplifier, such as Bose or HK, the amplifier is in the AGW.

I have found a unit the will allow me to convert the RCA analogue outputs of the F88 to the MOST Bus. This works a treat and allows me to play the F88 through my existing audio system.

My issue is with the steering wheel button controls. As part of the installation kit, I got a Connects2 CTSMC004.2 which connects to the interior canbus, decodes the steering wheel controls and sends appropriate signals to the F88's Wired Remote Control connector. The system powers on when it gets the Ignition ON canbus signal and switches to the rear camera input when reverse gear is selected, but beyond that, nothing, none of the steering wheel buttons do anything as far as the F88 is concerned (although the buttons still work with the instrument cluster changing various settings).

I have spoken with Connect2 support and they say that their interface only works with standard audio MB systems (i.e. non amplified systems). I would have thought that MB would stick to the same canbus commands for the steering wheel controls regardless of the way the audio is processed or am I completely wrong to assume that?

So I guess I'm stuck, unless someone out there can suggest another way; another interface box perhaps or any other suggestions that might allow me to get it to work.

Many Thanks,

Keith

The CANbus commands for steering wheel and display changed a couple of times. Some custom coding is needed to make it work.

If you are near Lightwater we can code it for you

I'd have taken the AGW out, and wired the speakers, power, antenna to the new head unit (as you had to run the antenna and antenna-power in anycase, and find power). (Unless you have BOSE, then for similar money you can put in a nicer amp)

Cheers

R

Hi Richard,

Thanks for taking time to reply - much appreciated.

I could still do what you suggest by removing the AGW and wiring the new head directly to the speakers etc, but how does this get around the CANbus coding issue for the steering wheel?

Also, when you talk about custom coding, what coding are you referring to specifically?

Many Thanks,

Keith

a) removing the AGW saves you buying the MOST interface, and the amp in the standard AGW is rubbish whereas new head unit amps are OK. (Remember AGW amp designed in the late 90s)

b) Using Star Diagnosis to code the cluster etc to make it understand whatever CAN format the Connects 2 is using (we don't use Connects 2, we use a different one but still have to code things) - this also adds back the ability to set the time in the instrument cluster which you have lost if you had COMAND before.

Cheers
Richard

Got it.

If the difference is that good, then I will remove the AGW and let the Pioneer drive things instead - Anyone want a MOST interface?

I am 300 or so miles from Lightwater so that's not practical, but I do have my own STAR Diagnosis system (Chinese copy no doubt but it works fine on my car). So, if we can agree a similar fee to what you would have charged me had I turned up in person, would you be prepared to guide me through the process via PM? I am a retired professional electronics engineer and so I am sure i can execute your instructions to the letter and hopefully get it working!

Many Thanks,

Keith

Keith,

Email me, [email protected] - its an interactive job (i.e I need to see what the cluster is offering) - and you need Star Diagnosis with the developer key licence too. So we have never done this remote - but you are far far away so maybe we can use TeamViewer

Cheers

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom