Pointless features on your Merc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CarFan79

Car
W204 C220
As title, is there any functions you have came across that seem pointless/useless?

For me and my W204 the fact you can't lock the car and hold the lock button to close any open windows unless you point the fob at the receiver on the driver's door handle is pointless. Most cars it's just a case of holding the lock button as long as you're in range.

It would need to be a long press like opening the tailgate via the key and need to be in range. I feel it would be better if the sensor was in the mirror. If I had my windows down in the drive I'd need to run out and aim at the handle or jump in and turn the ignition to close the windows on the rare occasions it rains 😂😂

The parktronic thing on the cars where the steering wheel can't move (like mine)

And yeah, I much prefer the BMW system of just holding the lock/unlock for the remote window function

It might just be me but I can never seem to locate the interior light buttons when it’s dark without opening the door. So not really a useless function, I’m just useless at making it function.

Automatic wipers and lights, don't like um, I know when to put me wipers and lights on, not just a Merc thing I know.

Disabled since day 1 -
Touchpad controller on centre console.
Door handle lights.
Auto folding mirrors.
Rarely use -
Flipping paddles !
Temp sync on heating.

Took me all of two minutes to just think of those.

All my pointless features are to do with security.

The electronic steering lock is pointless because it doesn't add anything to car security. The car has an immobiliser and won't start without the key so what's the point of locking the steering as well. Instead it's a potential liability that can leave you stranded and facing a big repair bill.

If I had it, which I thankfully don't, keyless go would be the most extreme example of a pointless feature as it caused a large increase in car thefts purely to save the driver pressing a button on the key fob. and then inserting the key. If they had engineered it safely in the first instance then it would have been fine but they didn't.

Wheel locking bolts are another example of something that adds almost nothing to car security but can be a potential problem to the owner when overtightened by the trade.

Automatic wipers and lights, don't like um, I know when to put me wipers and lights on, not just a Merc thing I know.
Yeah auto lights are not progress imo. If someone who relies on the auto function gets an MOT for example and the tester doesn't set the lights to auto they are oblivious to them being off.

Ambient lighting.
Flappy paddles on an auto.
Drivers "vanity" mirror.
Center touch pad - how do you disable it? I've got touch screen & track pad.
Keyless entry -WHY???? Let me disable it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom