Possible New Thermostat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i'm no expert, but i think the life expectancy of almost a decade is pretty good. i've got all the paperwork for mine and there's nothing showing for a thermo replacement!

What usually used to cause my thermostats to fail is that they were gunked up with radseal when i'd run an old junker for 6 months with more holes in the system than a sieve. as for new engines, i dunno to be honest.

A thermostat is £40 + vat from MB, just had mine replaced, apparently it includes the housing and temp sensor as one unit.

Fair enough points why the fuel lines will be brittle.

£40 + Vat sounds okay. Cheers.

But how do I fit the thermostat. Anyone know where I should look?

Update

Drove around 80 miles today on the motorway and temperature guage reached barely 60.

The outside temp was -4.

Does this confirm the thermostat is at fault?

dokalj

Update

Drove around 80 miles today on the motorway and temperature guage reached barely 60.

The outside temp was -4.

Does this confirm the thermostat is at fault?

dokalj

Had the thermostat replaced yesterday, temp now reaches 82 whereas before would not go over 60.

once you have the thermostat in hand you will see more clearly where it is,
once you have engine cover off you will find it at the front of engine on right hand side just under the electrical connection for the fuel rail.
three torx bolts to remove and wiggle it out.there is a small pipe just underneath the stat that is a push fit be aware that it is there when you remove stat,mine dropped down the back had a bit of a mare trying to get it out,once replaced you will notice an improvement in fuel economy aswell.

hth

Gareth

Cheers Gareth!

Interesting today the temperature rose to 65/70 and it was colder today than yesterday.

Does 12 litres on coolant sound right for the ML? I know half of this would be water.

Does anyone know what size the coolant bottle is from MB?

Also is it wise to flush the system with water and how could I tell if I have the 15 year coolant? My service book says every 3 years for a change.

Thanks

dokalj

Update

I hope everyone is well.

I have now fitted the new thermostat and it is working at the recommend temperature!

Cheers everyone for the advice!

dokalj

I think I need to replace the thermostat on our ML. Weather's warmed up, but the engine temperature is hovering around 60-degrees.

Is much coolant lost when changing it? Reason I ask in that I had the coolant changed at the last service, so I'd prefer to top up rather than flush and replace.

I think I need to replace the thermostat on our ML. Weather's warmed up, but the engine temperature is hovering around 60-degrees.

Is much coolant lost when changing it? Reason I ask in that I had the coolant changed at the last service, so I'd prefer to top up rather than flush and replace.

Hi,

You could loose up to 1.5 Litres est.

MB sell 1.5 bottles, I think at £9.99.

I had to undo the fuel lines that lead into the common rail and loosen it a little to gain a little better access when re-instating the new thermostat.

I hope all goes well, if you get stuck just pop a question up.

Cheers

dokalj

I found the complete opposite, was -5 the other night but thermo showed +13c ??

Only 13c? Or 13c above the normal 87c operating temperature?

Regards

dokalj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom