• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Power Steering Pump replacement CLK350 M272?

Shadgrind

Car
CLK350
I am trying to remove my power steering pump after having had three serpentine belts shredded. I have the E 12 ratchet spanner for access to the rear bolts. However, the one nearest to the cylinder head is proving to be extremely difficult to get access to. I have to squint to even be able to see it.

I have tried to reach it with the spanner, but the spanner is not that long and there is not enough room for my arm to fit all the way down there. I did manage to undo the one with the earth strap on it but that was it.

I have managed to do a YouTube search which seems to indicate that the rear bolts are the easiest in the case of the CK 350. This is not true. The bolt nearest to the cylinder head is nigh on impossible to get to. I was just about to throw the towel in and my toys out of the pram. When I saw a video on YouTube that seems to indicate that it would be easier to remove the AC compressor to allow easier access. I was just wondering if anyone here has managed to do this without removing the AC compressor from his mounts?

on a completely unrelated topic, I did manage to sort out the cover/drain on the right hand side of the engine bay that had one snapped mounting tab with a bit of heat and a screwdriver. It’s a bit of a botch, but it worked. I have a picture, it could just save someone some money.
IMG_7355.jpeg

Can't help. I do have an American Haynes WS manual. It looks like a bloody nightmare to remove the alternator.
Do the UK cars have air pumps? they have to be removed.
Also bolts have to be unscrewed from underneath and above.

Done it!
There was an E 12 torx on the back that was nigh on impossible to see, had to ram my arm down behind the pump to feel where it was before getting an E 12 torx flat spanner on it, luckily I had wobbled the pump left to right (a lot) to get it loose otherwise it would never have come off I could only move the spannner with my fingertips, if I was going to do a’how to’ I would say take it to a garage! After getting it off I found that there were torx 30 screws behind the pulley to get the mounting bracket and no holes to access them thru’ the pulley, angle grinder to the rescue cut the pulley up and got an impact gun on the bolts, plus a bit of heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom