• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Pre fuse in boot

Swiveleyegit

Car
W220 320 CDI
Evening all, been twiddling around in the boot, and discovered some dodgy looking connections.20241019_154658.jpg

The box is dry inside though, it looks like there's water getting in round the stud that's welded to the body, so I'll have take the arch liner off to investigate that.

Splitting the box open reveals what seems to be a break, but I'm unsure if it's supposed to be like this?

20241019_160633.jpg

Any advise will be most welcome.

Well, to answer my own question, the pre fuse does actually look like that, I found a photo on the S class encyclopaedia which confirmed it. The water ingress appears to be coming through into the boot where the fixing stud for the fuse box is situated, I couldn't find any leaks around the area above the cabling.
I've had a couple of other studs like this where the weld itself rusts away and the stud just falls off, leaving a hole, this happened to 2 studs on top of the inner wings where the wheel arch liner fixings screw on. I managed to get one repaired a while ago but the other one (on the driver's side) is under the wiring loom and the airlines for the suspension, which can't be moved far enough away to get a welder in there, so I'm not sure how that will go.
The actual connections in the box were all corroded, so I've cleaned them up and put it back together with some dielectric grease on everything.

I'd initially taken all of the boot liners out to try and locate the rear acceleration sensor, it turns out it isn't there anyway.. so I'll be taking the back seat out tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom