Priceless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c240yaz

MB Enthusiast
Last Friday night, M74 northbound between Carlisle and Glasgow, I am doing 70mph in lane 3 passing a convoy of trucks in lanes 1 and 2.

BMW in rear view mirror approaching doing 100mph plus, slams on the anchors and locks on to my rear bumper. As I am passing the last truck before returning to lane 2, he's flashing the beam and telling me to get out of the way.

As he passes, he's shouting through the window at me, and giving the finger salute, calling me a Fkn idiot.

About 20 minutes further on, he is on the hard shoulder, stopped by an unmarked BMW with flashing blues. Priceless.

Love it. It reminds me of a conversation I had in the car when we saw the scene of an accident...car upside down on the side of the motorway...police, ambulance there etc. Initially your reaction is to go "ouch, poor guy..nasty" etc etc....then you probably didn't see him weaving in and out of traffic at 90mph. Rough justice sometimes.

I had a very similar experience on the Westway coming out from Paddington a few months ago. I was on my motorbike and it was dark, cold and wet so I'm pretty conscious of stopping distances, escape routes and so on should the worst happen. Following a mini van type thing in lane 3 when a car (white nissan) appears from lane 1 and undertakes me giving me a heart attack. he brakes hard behind a lorry in 2 and then decides against cutting me up thankfully. I overtake in line ahead with the minivan and once the lorry in 2 has itself moved ahead of the car it was overtaking, the Nissan accelerates, undertakes the lorry, me again and the minivan who almost hits him as he returns from lanes 3 to 2.

thinking about accelerating up alongside to offer some pleasantries when yet another vehicle undertakes me. 2nd heart attack as its a member of Mets motorcycle unit who pulls the guy over.

resisted the temptation to toot my horn merrily as I passed the Nissan.

Often wonder what happened, ticking off or ticket? what would have been the reaction of the Plod if I'd stopped to offer my opinion? would i have been told to bugger off?

About 20 minutes further on, he is on the hard shoulder, stopped by an unmarked BMW with flashing blues. Priceless.

I thought we all didn't like unmarked 'stealth Tax collecting' Police cars the other day...

This is not aimed at you Yas.

Well the law is there, we can talk about it till the cows come home,, and me I try and drive within the limits,,Oh and I have just remembered that I must take my Advanced motorist test that I have paid for some months back.

Foot note, Do cows ever come home ???

I don't go on the M74 very often but each time I've been southbound I've been passed by cars at well over the limit (yup BMWs) and each time 15 to 20 miles further south they've been pulled over.

I don't go on the M74 very often but each time I've been southbound I've been passed by cars at well over the limit (yup BMWs) and each time 15 to 20 miles further south they've been pulled over.
There is never a journey on that road that I do not see the same. Most often it is either BMW or a 3.2 Vectra, unmarked. They are always there. 24hrs.

Ussually they cruise at 60mph and catch out the racers at 80 plus, and often sit on the downslope of the joining lane, so they can clock anyone speeding.....too late to brake.

I alway keep to 70mph on cruise contol ,,,,maybe 73ish, as the sat nav tends to give a better speed reading than the speedo, I hope !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom