• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Private Plate Woes!

Mickyh7

Car
SLK250d
Just got round to changing my number plates this morning.
Old plates on retention, so what could be easier?
DVLA online, a really simple process, armed with a Logbook and Retention Certificate.
A few minutes work and Bingo, an online receipt telling me to quickly fit my plates to my new car, new Logbook and MOT Certificate on their way!
Onto the Insurance company, again all DIY online stuff (which I actually find easy and quick), however my Private Plate, Not Found.
Another 2 or 3 attempts and I'm in a queue to talk to a 'Bot' (which I find horrible and time consuming).
Whilst I'm waiting I call DVLA, who assure me everything is fine and normal. ANPR and Plod won't be TPACing me off the road anytime soon.
The Bot finally comes online 38 minutes later and does sort everything out, for a not too bad £26 (esure). But when struggling to find my card details......
BOOM.... a Human takes over and quickly takes the money.
Armed with photos and receipts I now feel half confident about driving on public roads again.
Couple of hours later and the DVLA and my Insurance company still haven't updated their records.
Question Guys,
Am I being paranoid?
Feel like I'm chewing on a corner of Life's Sh*t Sandwich!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you’re being paranoid.

All those cogs take a lot of turning. Databases are often only updated at night. It’s not all fully automated so human intervention is a regular necessity. Have you ever noticed that an online payment you’ve made can show on your online card account as ‘pending’ for a day or two? Sit back and let it happen in its own time.

^This.
DVLA systems can take a while to update. I remember when Mrs Spiky bought her brand new car; it was nearly a week before it 'existed' officially according to the DVLA.

I don’t think you’re being paranoid. This is how it starts. Next your home, telephones, digital anssistance and social media accounts will all be bugged and your movements tracked. I’ll tell you about what happens that offline. In the meantime, you didn’t see me, right? 👀

I don’t think you’re being paranoid. This is how it starts. Next your home, telephones, digital anssistance and social media accounts will all be bugged and your movements tracked. I’ll tell you about what happens that offline. In the meantime, you didn’t see me, right? 👀
That's made me laugh!
Just rechecked a moment ago and both the Insurance and the DVLA have both updated!
I've had online problems before and some are terrible to sort out.
Back to my boring life!
Thanks all for replying.

Funnily enough, I have just done the same and had no problems even with the insurance company. It does take the DVLA a couple of days to sort, mine went though and now selling my car and all details are correct on DVLA.

30fjrf.jpg

old mate of mine has a personal reg and is on the 3rd car he’s put it on. Still showing as being on the first one he put it on on the ask mid database.

Yes, a cherished transfer done using the DVLA service takes between 48 and 96 hours to show on the Motor Insurance Industry database for quotes etc. The DVLA computer systems are older than some of the people working there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom