• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Purchased c250d amg - check engine light

The 100 mile limit 1 month warranty blah blah blah. Just BS from the seller trying to hoodwink you into not understanding your consumer rights UNDER LAW. If I were you, I'd consider that given this is not sold as seen and your within 30 day return under said law, consider taking back for a full refund. You don't have to consider repair or replacement. That only kicks in after 30 days and up to 6 months (not 3). They will try to string this out over 30 days is my guess...
I may try this. How can I convince them the car sold wasn't worthy as no errors 3 days ago when picked it up? Was reading consumer rights, have to prove not fit for purpose?

I deleted the Adblue over a year ago, and the car runs great ever since. If you like the car ask them for £500 to get the adblue deleted. If you want to stay 100% legal, ask them for your money back. Not sure which will be the easiest option though?

I would also gut the dpf for good measure! Why? Cos It would be my car and I can do what I want just like the politicians who regularly broke the law during lockdowns but hey that's another topic for another day..

Thanks for the input guys, I'm just not comfortable doing those mods
Personal choice, but there's a good reason literally thousands of remappers across the entire UK are now offering Adblue deletes. This is now widespread as the Adblue/Nox sensor set up is not fir for purpose.

Just wondering if this one is fixed by the garage that sold me car, if it may be worth the MB warranty, would that cover them in future as been quoted £699/Yr.

Also can you purchase an MB extended warranty if last service wasn't by MB? Had 5 main dealer and 1 other (recently) in 48k ?

You've got a few options.

Firstly - the part itself costs about £400-500 so you could take it to Hilton garage and get them to diagnose and replace the part. All traders have to give you 3 months warranty as a minimum. Take the MB warranty out thereafter and it will cover the nox sensor and future issues. Buying the warranty now will not cover the fault as it has already happened.

Other option is to code the whole system out so it doesnt cause any bother.

Buying a petrol car wont solve the issue - they have NOX sensors too. But, they wont give you the dreaded 500 miles countdown

Also the nox issue can always come back even when sensor has been replaced..

You really shouldn't need to be spending hundreds of pounds on a new car for a dodgy remap to make it work(except for its next mot which it WILL fail because of alterations to the oem emissions system).

Don't even consider going that route.

Call the dealer you purchased it from, tell him if he doesn't either A,sort the problem asap himself,or B,authorise repair at a dealer and he foot the bill that you will be rejecting the car.
At his cost.

Under no circumstances should you be paying for anything.

I'd also remind him that you have not yet left him a review on your purchase........

You really shouldn't need to be spending hundreds of pounds on a new car for a dodgy remap to make it work(except for its next mot which it WILL fail because of alterations to the oem emissions system).
No it won't, you don't know what you're talking about.

I think you gave a minimum of 3 months warranty when buying from a trader, under the sale of goods act. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong. Get codes read first so you know what you are looking at, it could just be a sensor🤞🏻
I thought it was 6 from a trader?

I thought it was 6 from a trader?
Under consumer law, it has to be of satisfactory quality (which is taken to mean without pre-existing faults). Through case law, this is now broadly interpreted in such a way that if a car 'develops' a fault within 6 months, it is likely judged either pre-existing or of unsatisfactory quality. After 1 month (but before 6) the dealer/trader only needs to offer repair or replacement. Within 30 days if there is a fault you can reject for refund. I'd strongly suggest if taking the reject route do it in writing and take legal advice if the trader is refusing to comply with the law.

The above has naff all to do with warranty.
Foe this reason, many traders now offer 6 month warranty as standard to try and cover off as much of their liability as possible.

This of course leads to events when the warranty offered doesn't cover the pre-existing fault, and the trader correctly but intentionally deceptively states 'sorry, this isn't covered by warranty' implying tough diddy doos. Of course, the warranty isn't the requirement, BUT THE LAW, and the trader will have to fix regardless, but this doesn't stop them trying to hoodwink a customer into naively walking away without the trader paying for the repairs they are legally obligated to pay for.

My C250d was about 4.5 years old with about 27,000 miles on the clock (owned from new) and regularly serviced my MB main dealer when my engine management light came on. Contacted MB (car under ext warranty) and told to book it into a main dealer when convienient. As luck would have it I was about 10 miles from the nearest dealer and took it there straight away, they checked it out while I waited and , again luckily, they had a DPF sensor in stock.All sorted in 2 hours. I wouldn't be too worried about a DPF sensor failure but I would expect the replacement to be FOC if you've only recently bought the car.

As above, reject car.

Plenty more fish (and non adblue, EU5 or petrol, even hybrids) out there.

They may be able to make a small deduction to reflect the use out of and mileage, but only a few pence per mile (see their T&Cs)

No it won't, you don't know what you're talking about.

With respect, it's irrelevant.

No one in his right mind will delete AdBlue or gut the DPF on a 6 years old car, just 3 days after they bought it from a dealer. That's insane.

Well, not without trying everything possible to reject the car first, up to and including going through to he courts if need be.

As above, reject car.

Plenty more fish (and non adblue, EU5 or petrol, even hybrids) out there.

They may be able to make a small deduction to reflect the use out of and mileage, but only a few pence per mile (see their T&Cs)

Their T&C are irrelevant, what matters is the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Their T&C are only relevant if they offer better terms than the Act ....

Deduction per mile is not set in the Consumer Rights act, only that they may make a deduction reflecting use made of.

The rate per mile should be in their T&C's if they do cover off returns

With respect, it's irrelevant.

No one in his right mind will delete AdBlue or gut the DPF on a 6 years old car, just 3 days after they bought it from a dealer. That's insane.

Well, not without trying everything possible to reject the car first, up to and including going through to he courts if need be.
But if one has acquired a top spec mb that they don't want to give up then it would make sense to sort the ad blue issue with a simple delete.. I myself gutted the dpf as soon as i purchased a c207 e350cdi few years ago.. it then got written off with no issue with insurance pay out.

All traders have to give you 3 months warranty as a minimum
6 months legal protection is a given from consumer protection legislation, 3 months is a trader talking rubbish, happens a lot😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom