• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

R129 - Bonnet insulation replacement

R129mine

Car
R129 SL500 from 96
About 15 years ago I replaced the bonnet insulation and despite knowing there is an correct side up or down I messed it up last time and it bugged me all these years This summer I noticed the bonnet insulation started to disintegrate again.
IMG_5491.jpeg
I ordered a new one which arrived last week. I also have a spare hook (brand new) and release lever (eBay purchase) and the old ones were all pretty crusty and the spring is missing

IMG_5492.jpeg

The bonnet is a little rusty on the inside as well so sanded off all the rust, put some primer on and tomorrow will spray it Azurite Blue and put a top coat on before putting it all back together
IMG_5493.jpegIMG_5495.jpegIMG_5506.jpeg

The bolts cleaned up nicely too, they were all body colour painted but I think i will just leave them as they are, because as soon as i fasten them the paint will come off. They are a bit pitted, will see what it looks like in a years time.

IMG_5499.jpeg

I had to re-use one of the hooks so used the grinder to clean it up and primed it,

IMG_5502.jpeg

Sanded down the new to me release catch and gave it an extra coat of satin black

IMG_5501.jpeg

tomorrow i will apply the azurite blue paint and a clear coat but first will remove all the old glue and bonnet insulation once the glue removal kit arrives tomorrow.

Mission creep!!

A nice job and good use of your wheelie bin.. I used a small paint roller on a long handle to help stick mine down in the bits I could not reach..

glue very hard to remove, ordered 3M glue remover as gone goo just takes forever
did put the hooks and release catch back on, miles better than before, for comparison the old release catch next to the refurbished onIMG_5520.jpeg

and on the car, not sure if i prefer the blue or the zinc colour one, I have the original one so may have a go at zinc plating myself later this year, may come in handy for the bolts and washers too, IMG_5524.jpegIMG_5525.jpegIMG_5523.jpeg

used some lithium grease on the hooks and release catch and tested it and the bonnet stays down and I can open it as well, result

Just the insulation to do after I have remove all the old glue (what a job)

All done. This spray glue is much easier to use than the mb glue I used last time. I used 3M adhesive remover and gone goo to get 95% of the old stuff off

Added bonus. I put it on the right way around this time. Hopefully that helps with keeping it in good shape. Last one lasted quite a while though
IMG_5568.jpegIMG_5566.jpegIMG_5565.jpegIMG_5567.jpeg

A timely post as mine is turning to dust. From where did you buy the insulation please and are you happy with the quality?

I got mine from the SLshop.com, it was about £100 including new fasteners and the glue, I remember buying it from MB dealer last time (i think it was 15 years ago) and it was about £80 + glue

Quality seems good, it fits perfectly although I think the MB original one has 2x extra holes for the fasteners but I am nitpicking.

Very nice.

I chickened out and paid to have mine replaced while it was in having the hood windows replaced!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom