R129 maintenance - done

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129mine

Car
R129 SL500 from 96
Today I did what MB calls a B service, I also decided to take apart the cabin filter and air filter boxes and gave them a good clean and removed 5yrs worth of muck and gave it a quick hoover, degreased the engine bay (spend 15 mins on it so not super job) and put it back together
7EC8D127-1729-44F1-B3FD-2EEE4BC6413E.jpeg IMG_1690.jpeg IMG_1705.jpeg

I also noticed that at some point one of the rubbers for the airbox was not attached properly and it has dented the pipe that runs underneath the airbox and looks like it is a fuel line so I will be replacing that :)
IMG_1695.jpeg

I am also pleased to report the the bonnet insulation has started to come loose, I replaced it about 10 years ago but I stupidly put it on the wrong way around, doh so I can rectify that mistake now, just spotted the MB logo indent on the insulation
.IMG_1719.jpeg

I also gave the carpets a quick clean with the new carpet cleaner I purchased (I convinced my wife we needed one so I spend 8 hours on my hands and knees cleaning all the carpets in the house a few weeks ago to justify the purchase and today finally managed to clean the car carpets.

I replaced the exhaust last month and I really have to start thinking about overhauling and replacing the front and rear suspension, it is looking very tired, and rusty, the OSF brake shield has disappeared (must have rotten away over time and fallen off, only a tiny bit of it is left which I removed also so hopefully the MOT tester will not spot that, I think the are close to £400/500 each ouch. When steering at low speed I can hear some creaking, not sure if it is the steering mechanism or some of the bushes which are in a bad state. I may outsource the suspension overhaul as I have not done that kind of work before and without a lift perhaps too much to do at home,

Finally the alternator has a nice crack in it, has had it for years but may as well replace that
IMG_1717.jpeg

Just need to do the flush the coolant and replace it next weekend and the car should be good to go for another couple of years

Next week the Cayenne will be back from the repair shop (small dent in the bumper needed a repair) and will service that car.

When steering at low speed I can hear some creaking, not sure if it is the steering mechanism or some of the bushes which are in a bad state.
Could be the ball joints in the lower arms. I have a feeling on your model they may not be replaceable separately and you might have to replace the lower arm complete if that is the case.

Good work on the other jobs, satisfying work and you know it’s all done properly 😎

Could be the ball joints in the lower arms. I have a feeling on your model they may not be replaceable separately and you might have to replace the lower arm complete if that is the case.

Good work on the other jobs, satisfying work and you know it’s all done properly 😎
Spot on, took the wheel off and ball joint is split on the NSF,

Currently reading up on the various threads on this board how to replace lower arms but also springs (which look nasty) and shocks. The ARB is also very rusty, took it off a few years ago and spent ages trying to remove rust etc but it is too pitted.

It is a never ending story but something to keep me busy I guess

It’s difficult to know how far to go when running an older car.

Man maths says if you’re not paying for labour you can go a little further on the scope of parts to replace, but it’s worth keeping things in context.

How long are you planning to keep this for? :)

I have had it for 16 years and am planning on keeping it for another 16 years at least :). It does not make financial sense but it has become a hobby and it is cheaper per year than having a gym membership or having a PL season ticket.

I know I have a few big ticket items on the list and if I do one of those each year it is manageable.

Doing them all at once would be equal to half the value of the car probably which makes no sense.

Just need to prioritise each of those big ticket items.

Currently reading up on the various threads on this board how to replace lower arms

Mine needed new front control arms and they were just over 500€ each in 2016. May be very similar on yours.

But if you're keeping it 16 years, maybe justified.

Good hunting.

RayH

Spot on, took the wheel off and ball joint is split on the NSF,

Currently reading up on the various threads on this board how to replace lower arms but also springs (which look nasty) and shocks. The ARB is also very rusty, took it off a few years ago and spent ages trying to remove rust etc but it is too pitted.

It is a never ending story but something to keep me busy I guess
Recently replaced some of my front suspension compartments. My local garage was doing the work as some items where an MOT failure, dust caps, gaiters split.
They bought Delphi parts which did not fit. Used Febi in the end. The springs where a problem without the correct spring compressors and wasn’t a job I fancied undertaking on the drive..

Used Febi in the end.

Interesting to see how you get on with Febis. I hope all will be well but many say there's no substitute for MB original for these quality cars.

My 300CE got MB originals in 2016 at 500€ each. I now see that my usual supplier lists them at 496€. A REDUCTION!!! Unheard of.

Good luck.

RayH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom