R172 Cracked Windscreen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good post...I would certainly have failed that when I was a tester if over 40mm in the swept area.....visual impairment or not. A modern bonded screen is a structural part of the car. The picture is deceptive....it looks like there is a lot more crack in the swept area than there must actually be.
I've actually seen people fit shorter wiper blades (to reduce the swept area!) to pass the test with a cracked screen!!!
As I said, it would have been a judgement call. I'd not have argued.

Now I come to think of it, either that, or I could have come back with shorter wiper blades and a big grin. The manual doesn't specify how much of the screen has to be wiped... :D

Well, the screen in Angie's SLK55 was replaced this morning by National Windscreens in Aylesbury, and they've done a good job.

I'd asked them if they could get an OEM screen authorised, but my insurer (Aviva) dug their heels in - as I'd expected - as their policy is to pay extra for OEM glass replacement only if the vehicle is under 3 years old.

Returning to this question, the car now has another Pilkington screen, but without the Daimler signature or other Mercedes-Benz markings:

wtIbgaG.jpg

So we still don't know if anyone else manufactures screens for the R172, but we certainly do know that Pilkington supply both OEM and aftermarket versions.
You can get the signature decal on ebay if you wish to stick it back on.

The original is just an internal sticker anyways

It passed MoT in December, but I think it wouldn't pass now, though; yesterday afternoon, moving slowly over the slight crest at the head of my drive, there was a slight 'pk' sound and the crack has propagated another three or four inches. Time to get it done.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom