R172 Cracked Windscreen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used National Windscreens when I had a large crack suddenly appear on my previous E55.
Really good fitter arrived and carried out the re fit of the new screen and relocate the OCP containing the rain sensor. No problems and very happy with the company.
As he said, there are good and bad fitters at all the windscreen outfits. It's the luck of the draw getting a good one.

I would bid a stress fracture on a “poorly” replaced windscreen.

Fitted ok, but cracks on a bump or pothole many miles later.

But who cares? It’s now just a question of whether you want to replace now or later. The windscreen boys would always say replace now because a broken screen will break up further as time goes on.

The windscreen boys would always say replace now
I concur with windscreen boys.

Bonded screens provide a huge amount of the designed rigidity in the bodyshell. Once they’re cracked, the overall rigidity is compromised.

I'm waiting to see if the crack propagates. So far it hasn't.

I am toying with the idea of getting my 2010 W221 screen replaced, I have a couple of small marks, one in my line of sight which has been repaired before.
However, the main problem I have is that when the sun is low it looks like a frosted screen with hundreds of tiny scratches.
I have not looked closely but I think it is not an original screen as the car has done 140K miles.

If none of the scratches are more than light surface marks, you can polish them out. I've seen it written that toothpaste will do the trick, but I'm sure there are better, less laborious, compounds available.

When the screen needed replacing in our C-class, I asked Autoglass to fit an OE replacement rather than a ‘pattern” replacement. So they asked our insurer (LV), they agreed and that’s what was fitted,

I asked Autoglass to fit an OE replacement rather than a ‘pattern” replacement. So they asked our insurer (LV), they agreed and that’s what was fitted
That was the case with Aviva when I had the screen replaced on my E63. I was told by the fitters (National Windscreens) that most insurers will generally acquiesce to the request if the car is under three years old, but tend to dig their heels in if it's older. It also slows the replacement process as there has to be a request made of the insurer and the response isn't always particularly rapid, whereas there is automatic authority to replace with a non-OEM screen.

It may well be that because the R172 was a low-volume model, there is no aftermarket screen available for it. Does anyone with an R172 who reads this have a screen both not made by Pilkington and not having the Daimler signature?

I am toying with the idea of getting my 2010 W221 screen replaced, I have a couple of small marks, one in my line of sight which has been repaired before.
However, the main problem I have is that when the sun is low it looks like a frosted screen with hundreds of tiny scratches.
I have not looked closely but I think it is not an original screen as the car has done 140K miles.
I was told that modern-day windscreens are made of softer glass & thus more easily pitted. This seemed proven as since about the 1980's most of my business use cars had pitted screens within 40k miles & my current 30k mile SLC also has a pitted screen (& the slight crack as per previous posting). Thanks for the comment about insisting on an OE replacement screen & that it would seem unnecessary to use a Mercedes stealer.

Well, the screen in Angie's SLK55 was replaced this morning by National Windscreens in Aylesbury, and they've done a good job.

I'd asked them if they could get an OEM screen authorised, but my insurer (Aviva) dug their heels in - as I'd expected - as their policy is to pay extra for OEM glass replacement only if the vehicle is under 3 years old.

Does anyone with an R172 who reads this have a screen both not made by Pilkington and not having the Daimler signature?

Returning to this question, the car now has another Pilkington screen, but without the Daimler signature or other Mercedes-Benz markings:

wtIbgaG.jpg

So we still don't know if anyone else manufactures screens for the R172, but we certainly do know that Pilkington supply both OEM and aftermarket versions.

Autoglass replaced my E350 S207 screen ... has anyone had a screen replaced in an R230 SL ? mine has a large stone chip on the passenger side.. worried about the electronics being fooked up with a replacement.

worried about the electronics being fooked up with a replacement.
I’ve had the screen replaced - twice - on an E63 with Driver Assistance Package (so stereo cameras, etc.) and now the SLK55 with its camera, radio aerial and other electronic gubbins) and all have been fine.

I’ve had the screen replaced - twice - on an E63 with Driver Assistance Package (so stereo cameras, etc.) and now the SLK55 with its camera, radio aerial and other electronic gubbins) and all have been fine.
Thanks for that....:thumb: did you have to go to their fitment centre to have it fitted? I had to with the E class.. so they could calibrate the light rain sensors etc,.

did you have to go to their fitment centre to have it fitted?
Yes, they did each replacement at their fitment centre so they could recalibrate the cameras.

Just to add, I also had the screen replaced on my W177 A-Class and that had to be done at a fitment centre too as it also has a camera system. So three cars, four screens (two done by National Windscreens, two done by Autoglass) and no issues with any of them.

My crack Ooops :eek: The crack on my car isn't in an MoT fail position, so it would only be a minor ("Failure for damage is only justified if the damage significantly affects the driver’s view of the road". Where it is, it would only affect my view of a low-flying aircraft...). I'm just going to leave it -for now- and see if it develops.

Is there an MB part number in the bottom left corner of an OE screen, does anyone know? If so, Phil, is yours a Pilkington (aftermarket) screen too, or an OE one?
Afraid not....a crack over 40 mm long in any area swept by the wiper blade is a fail. And anything that won't fit in a 10 mm circle is a fail if it's in 300 mm band, top to bottom of the screen (and in the swept area) centered on the steering wheel.

Afraid not....a crack over 40 mm long in any area swept by the wiper blade is a fail. And anything that won't fit in a 10 mm circle is a fail if it's in 300 mm band, top to bottom of the screen (and in the swept area) centered on the steering wheel.
Not quite correct. It's nowhere near the 300 mm (actually 290 mm) band, and just over 40 mm into the swept area, Whether it's a failure point wouold be a judgement call, though.

The MoT Tester's Manual states:

"You must check the condition of:
  • the windscreen
To inspect the condition of glass:
  1. Sit in the driver’s seat.
  2. Check the view of the road.
Check for:
  • damage in windscreen zone A more than 10mm in diameter
  • damage in the remainder of the windscreen’s swept area more than 40mm in diameter
Failure for damage is only justified if the damage significantly affects the driver’s view of the road."

It goes on to state:

"
DefectCategory
(a) Windscreen or window damaged or seriously discoloured:

(i) but not adversely affecting driver’s view
(ii) and affecting the driver’s view of the road or of an obligatory external mirror

Minor
Major
"
It doesn't adversely affect my view, so it would be a judgement call for the MoT tester; I'd say he would pass it as a minor.

That said, though, it will have to be done sooner or later. I'm keeping an eye on it, and if it propagates, as I feel sure it will, to a significant degree and does interfere with my view of the road, it will be done then if not sooner.

That was the case with Aviva when I had the screen replaced on my E63. I was told by the fitters (National Windscreens) that most insurers will generally acquiesce to the request if the car is under three years old, but tend to dig their heels in if it's older. It also slows the replacement process as there has to be a request made of the insurer and the response isn't always particularly rapid, whereas there is automatic authority to replace with a non-OEM screen.
Interesting that. Is this specified in the actual insurance policy? If not, I wonder how they are able to get away with it. It has always been a basic principle of insurance that Insurers have to put you back in the position you were before the loss or damage. If you have an oem screen you should be able to get the same replaced if available. The answer of course is economics. A local windscreen supplier told me a while ago that the average price to them of an aftermarket screen is £60. I suspect Insurers are not paying a vast amount more than that under these supplier contracts. Helps to keep premiums down I suppose.

The R172 already has an aftermarket screen from Pilkingtons, the OE supplier, so I'm pretty confident the replacement will be to OE spec. The CLS, however, also has an aftermarket screen, but made by Fuyao. I'd be willing to bet that's a Chinese company, and the Chinese aren't exactly noted for high-quality aftermarket automotive products...

Not quite correct. It's nowhere near the 300 mm (actually 290 mm) band, and just over 40 mm into the swept area, Whether it's a failure point wouold be a judgement call, though.

The MoT Tester's Manual states:

"You must check the condition of:
  • the windscreen
To inspect the condition of glass:
  1. Sit in the driver’s seat.
  2. Check the view of the road.
Check for:
  • damage in windscreen zone A more than 10mm in diameter
  • damage in the remainder of the windscreen’s swept area more than 40mm in diameter
Failure for damage is only justified if the damage significantly affects the driver’s view of the road."

It goes on to state:

"
DefectCategory
(a) Windscreen or window damaged or seriously discoloured:

(i) but not adversely affecting driver’s view
(ii) and affecting the driver’s view of the road or of an obligatory external mirror

Minor
Major
"
It doesn't adversely affect my view, so it would be a judgement call for the MoT tester; I'd say he would pass it as a minor.

That said, though, it will have to be done sooner or later. I'm keeping an eye on it, and if it propagates, as I feel sure it will, to a significant degree and does interfere with my view of the road, it will be done then if not sooner.

Good post...I would certainly have failed that when I was a tester if over 40mm in the swept area.....visual impairment or not. A modern bonded screen is a structural part of the car. The picture is deceptive....it looks like there is a lot more crack in the swept area than there must actually be.
I've actually seen people fit shorter wiper blades (to reduce the swept area!) to pass the test with a cracked screen!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom