R230 Anti Roll Bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swainsea

Car
2002 ML55 AMG (GONE) 2002 SL500 (GONE) 2004 CL500
I'm thinking I may need to go the coilover conversion route (I know this won't get everyone's approval) and it appears to fit arb's the subframes need to be removed !!

Has anyone done this ?

There is a video on youtube from a guy called Tavarish that details this.

That's pretty drastic! why are you considering such a thing? You won't get quite the ride comfort, handling and moreover the integrated electronic dynamics that the ABC give you. I've driven many an SL and the 350 with coil-overs is ultimately not on the same page as an ABC equipped model. And what ARB's would you use? Is your motivation about the potential expense of the ABC system on fault?

And what ARB's would you use? Is your motivation about the potential expense of the ABC system or fault?

A bit of both really.. slight fault at the moment, but also hopefully future proof the car against expensive suspension problems. I was thinking of using SL350 ARB's.

What's the fault swainsea ?

Occasionally sinks on one side, doesn't lose any fluid, but about once a month it will sink ( fluid was changed in September at last service )

I bought the car cheaply as it was sinking every time it was parked up. The fluid level was low, I topped it up and cycled the suspension about 20 times, since then it sinks much less frequently.

I'm assuming it's a 500 then? It's not uncommon for an ABC shod model to sink over time, some do some don't and 'sinkage' times vary. The issue (or moreover what causes it) is the valve blocks (one to each corner). Each block has seals within the valves and they can seep (internally). If you cannot see any external leaks (bottom of shocks) then I wouldn't concern yourself too much. My previous 500 did the same over about a week, my present 55 AMG doesn't. Three queries; how many miles has your car done? what year is it? and how long does it now take to sink enough for you to need to raise it on the buttons.

It's a 2002 with 98k miles.

I can go out in it nine times out of ten, park it up for a few days and it doesn't sink at all. I can then go out again,park it up and it will sink in about ten minutes (not normally completely, but about half way)

Thing is, it really doesn't make financial sense to me to throw thousands of pounds at repairing a fifteen year old car (probably the value of the car) just to keep it original. I'm tempted with reliability of coilovers for a fraction of the price.

Same year as my previous 500 and similar mileage, it did the same thing from time to time but didn't sink quite so quickly when it was in the mood to do so. However, it never really bothered me. It could be just one valve block on the blink and if so that would be cheaper than the big swop job. However I can see your rationale regarding simplicity, reliability and longevity - your call.

I just can't figure out why both front and rear sink on one side, I thought they each were controlled by different blocks, seems a bit of a coincidence that each block would occasionally leak at the same time as the other - if that makes sense..

They are, but the system can behave in the way you see. It may well be that the front and rear are not sinking exactly the same they just appear as if they are. And, it wouldn't be unusual that the rear sinks as well as the front even though it may be a front valve block that's the main culprit as the system does not seal a corner in total isolation - a seepage would have a knock-on effect. A good technician with the correct equipment should be able to diagnose just where the issue lies.

OK. Thanks for your help

I think what I'll do as long as it's only sinking once every couple of weeks is live with it. If it gets a lot worse I think I'll go for the coilover option ( especially as I all ready have them sat in the garage waiting to go on) It's just the dropping subframes I'm not particularly looking forward to.

Yea, that is a big job. If it's only sinking once every couple of weeks then that is really nothing to be too concerned about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom