• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Rant of the Day - Adrian Flux

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
I never normally use the Insurance sub-forum, but after 11 years of being AF's customer as well as having home insurance with them, they can only offer me £30 cheaper than my renewal letter £1004.

17 years NCB and im 44 arrrgh. Also, a new one to me I did 10k miles last year, they now check with MOT records. I had it down as 8k a year.

Rant over.

17 years NCB and im 44 arrrgh. Also, a new one to me I did 10k miles last year, they now check with MOT records. I had it down as 8k a year.
Slight thread distraction (only to take your mind off your irritation, you understand ;) ).
If you state a lower mileage when taking out insurance, could that result in you being liable for reinstating their losses if a claim is made against you that happened above the limit you suggested to them ?

I guess so. He said EVERYONE he has spoken to was in the same boat. I guess it's a new thing?

I renewed yesterday . Was 'reminded' that 8k yearly was 153 miles a week, 'was that enough?'

I think that the key issue with under-declaring annual mileage is that in the event of a claim, the insurer might say that your policy is void because they were unable to correctly evaluate the risk and calculate the premium that you should be paying (given that the more mileage the car does, the more it is 'exposed' to the risk of an accident). In this scenario, the insurer could refund any premiums already paid and void your policy. Obvoulsy, this is an extreme scenario, and even if it did get to that, they might not be successful in court because of consumer rights etc, but it would still be a world of pain to the owner. That's the theoretical risk, as I understand it.

Regarding the insurer checking the annual mileage using publicly-available MOT records, I suppose they wised-up to the fact that some people under-declare the mileage, however this is not conclusive proof in itself unless the MOT date coincides with the policy renewal date.

I had the argument some years ago when a broker insisted that I provide proof that my annual mileage was within the stated mileage. I think they required a signed declaration.

I refused stating that other drivers can use the vehicle on their insurance, albeit as 3rd party cover only, but not their concern.
They threatened to cancel the policy, with charges, w/o the proof.

My mileage these days is below the stated mileage. When they check and find that I've been over insured I'll bet they don't factor in a discount.

Insurance has become a modern day corruption. Whilst I don't condone it becomes increasingly understandable why some would choose to drive illegally, and even attempt to stay off the radar (no APNR pun intended).

I never normally use the Insurance sub-forum, but after 11 years of being AF's customer as well as having home insurance with them, they can only offer me £30 cheaper than my renewal letter £1004.

Rant over.
Could you say that you've done 2000 uninsured miles on the 'ring?

I ditched AF years ago, when two years on the trot it took me very little time to find a cheaper quote than theirs, they offered their ‘price promise’ to match any identical quote. I took it the first year, but as it was fairly substantial %-wise the next year, I decided that I was fed up doing their job for them, and moved on.

I've tried Flux on a number of occasions but they've never been competitive on the Merc, so I always stay with A Plan (now Howdens).

However, when the old Yank came up for renewal, Flux beat my previous insurer Classic Line by over 30% so obviously got the business. If they try to bounce it up a bit next year I can always return.

As you mentioned, they did seem particular on the mileage clause which Classic Line weren't overly concerned with. A photo of the odometer was sent to them though I doubt it will be needed as I spend more time underneath it than driving it. :(

I have been a rate tart for more years than I can remember,hold on I can remember it was Invincible policies in Romford Essex,my first two cars were with them and by chance I found that my insurance could be cheaper with the AA,and since then 1978 I have always tried to better the quote from my exisiting insurer,I leraned years ago that there is nothing earned by being a loyal customer.

I always go through all the comparison sites, but have noticed that for the exact cover with the same companies the prices on the comparison sites sometimes vary so its best to check more than one comparison site.:thumb:
On another thread

"Insurance is a JOKE"​

I said that I have just renewed with Saga for my S63 & took their fixed for 3 year price of £337.09/year. Their one year price was £264.42. The three year deal give a couple of extras, so with so much uncertainty around I thought it was worth it

I asked AF for a quote recently, they came back at more or less double my renewal (which they were aware of - I had given them my price to beat) and then proceeded to ask me with a straight face if I'd like to proceed with the policy.

😆

I have 5k miles set on car and van. We are always under (van coming up to 2 years old and only 7k miles).

On a vehicle that’s not yet had an MOT how could they check for mileage?

On a vehicle that’s not yet had an MOT how could they check for mileage?

The insurance company could probably check with the dealer with regards to mileage at the annual service as most will keep a new vehicle within the confines of the manufacturers main dealer network for the first three years.

Some keys also record the mileage , they have scanned the key of my 4 series at servicing time as all the mileage data etc. is stored.

K

The insurance company could probably check with the dealer with regards to mileage at the annual service as most will keep a new vehicle within the confines of the manufacturers main dealer network for the first three years.

Some keys also record the mileage , they have scanned the key of my 4 series at servicing time as all the mileage data etc. is stored.

K
Would GDPR allow that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom