• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Rant of the Day - Adrian Flux

Did you never compare their price for the past decade?

Yep, each year I do my homework and call around. Normally get £200-300 off initial price.

Not this year however.

Would GDPR allow that?

Are vehicles included under the GDPR umbrella , the insurance company would not be asking for someones personal data plus most vehicles can be driven by more than one person.

K

The insurance company could probably check with the dealer with regards to mileage at the annual service as most will keep a new vehicle within the confines of the manufacturers main dealer network for the first three years.

Some keys also record the mileage , they have scanned the key of my 4 series at servicing time as all the mileage data etc. is stored.

K

I doubt that the insurer can access data stored at the dealership without your consent, however in the event of a claim they could try and insist on connecting your car to an OBDII scanner.

I doubt that the insurer can access data stored at the dealership without your consent, however in the event of a claim they could try and insist on connecting your car to an OBDII scanner.

If the vehicle is under three years old then the insurance company could just check the service history on the vehicles settings to verify annual mileage , plus there is always the point that if such a new vehicle is on a lease deal or finance then it may still be owned by the finance / lease company so in that case would the drivers personal GDPR rules apply.

I sat on Thursday night ,when on shift , for an hour and did a GDPR module as part of my employee compliance and still know pretty much naff all about it so may need to ask my Philadelphia Lawyer to simplify it for me.

K

The mileage thing has anomalies.

Retired Joe doing 2k miles a year may be considered a little ‘rusty’ on his driving skills.

Where as Rep Richard doing 30k+ miles a year will be well into the driving groove with up to date experience.

🤷‍♂️

AF have been on my short list of brokers to avoid since my son in law was stopped for no insurance and it transpired AF had made a mistake with the registration. They wouldn't own up or repay the premium for insuring a car he didn't own. Went down massively with me and I don't forget. I'll never use them.

My renewal from AF is due later this month, a quick visit to the pointy eared little guys suggests that Tesco are maybe the way to go. See what AF come in at and go from there.

AF have been on my short list of brokers to avoid since my son in law was stopped for no insurance and it transpired AF had made a mistake with the registration. They wouldn't own up or repay the premium for insuring a car he didn't own. Went down massively with me and I don't forget. I'll never use them.
Well surely they were insuring him even if the reg error was their mistake.....not to mention the reg would have been on all the docs they email you when you pay the premium. ...so they were obviously never looked at. Mistakes happen... no harm done. I always check my docs and also make sure its on askMID after I renew.

I check askmid for all three cars every couple of months, I like to be sure!

... no harm done.
AF have been on my short list of brokers to avoid since my son in law was stopped for no insurance
Fwiw although we all know that mistakes do happen, with at least 6 points & the accompanying fine I should expect that AMGreed's SIL may dispute the "No harm done" aspect ?

It would never happen....it was a mistake by the insurer...not the driver and the judge would see that and send her on his way....after giving him a ticking off for not being more careful and checking....as the responsibility is with the driver to check. Same as if your garage missed a bald tyre....in the eyes if the law its up to you to check your car is safe for the road, not the garage

I went with Adrian Flux once; I needed insurance sorted quickly, using my mobile just before boarding the train, and expected there would be no hassle. There wasn't.

However, come renewal time they were massively uncompetitive, wouldn't budge on price, and I haven't bothered with them since. I've been with Admiral, multicar, for the last five years, chopping, adding and changing cars pretty often, and never had any hassle either. Added to which, come renewal time I can never find the same cover more than a few pounds if at all cheaper.

As above with Admiral
The amount of faff to place cover with different insurers for what would be literally a few quid a year saving (not even a month) means we've had multi cover with them for 5 or more years. They've been really good - no claims made though....

They do budge on price come renewal, although their monthly interest is very steep.

One year I took a personal loan out that was half the (interest) price to cover the annual premium of the house and 4 cars just to see if I could and I told them that!

I understand ask Mid can take upto 14 days to update the data base.My daughter put her car back on the road on Friday , tax and MOT shown as valid , insurance still says not insured.

AF are my insurer - GLA 45, I'm 65 and have been with them 3 or 4 years. I recently had a hit and run in a car park - got the culprit bang to rights on CCTV, no big damage (scratched up door panel but as he did a runner I put it through the insurance, they gave me the wrong information as to who actually held the policy as it changed half way through my term! Long story short the other party denied any knowledge, my renewal came up with a big increase and i couldn't go elsewhere as the claim isn't resolved, the only good news is I have legal cover so the solicitors are after the other party now! BTW this was March and at least weeks away from being resolved, in the meantime I'm trapped with AF and no way out ....................

It would never happen....it was a mistake by the insurer...not the driver and the judge would see that and send her on his way....after giving him a ticking off for not being more careful and checking....as the responsibility is with the driver to check. Same as if your garage missed a bald tyre....in the eyes if the law its up to you to check your car is safe for the road, not the garage
It was a mistake by the insurer, but the magistrate went by the letter of the law and fined BIL and awarded 6 penalty points for no insurance.
You are in correct in saying its up to the customer to check the details. His fault for not checking, but you expect the broker to get it right.
AF didn't and refused to shoulder any blame. Ironic they wouldn't refund that years premium he'd paid for the wrong car he didn't own.
I wouldn't entertain them since that day.

AF are my insurer - GLA 45, I'm 65 and have been with them 3 or 4 years. I recently had a hit and run in a car park - got the culprit bang to rights on CCTV, no big damage (scratched up door panel but as he did a runner I put it through the insurance, they gave me the wrong information as to who actually held the policy as it changed half way through my term! Long story short the other party denied any knowledge, my renewal came up with a big increase and i couldn't go elsewhere as the claim isn't resolved, the only good news is I have legal cover so the solicitors are after the other party now! BTW this was March and at least weeks away from being resolved, in the meantime I'm trapped with AF and no way out ....................
I see a recurring theme here.

Yesterday I received my renewal quote so the first thing I did, as I do every year, was go to 3 or 4 price comparison sites to see how much cheaper I could get it.

All 3 of the sites I checked came back cheaper & interestingly all 3 had the same household name company as the cheapest. What was different was the price, varying about 35% for exactly the same policy with exactly the same add-ons & excesses.

I switched to the cheapest & bought it on the spot as I know quotes can change, always upwards!

If you get quotes then leave them for two or three weeks they usually go DOWN if you don't take them up straight away..which is why I do it a month or so before the old one expires.
Also don't forget that it's now against the law to give a new customer a lower quote than a current one for a like for like quote... something companies sometimes need reminding of that you get a cheaper one from your current company on a comparison site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom