• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Rebuild or replace - tied in knots trying to decide

Tayto

Car
Mercedes Benz C-Class C250 Sport Estate 2012
Hi all, some urgent advice needed.
Due to no oil pressure some damage has been done to my 2012 C-Class petrol. Exploratory investigations reveal some damage to the intake camshaft (exhaust is OK apparently?), some damage to the crank.
Engine runs as it was driven to the garage but sounds like a 80s diesel!
So to rebuild or replace?
I've been given a quote to replace with a 68k engine for £3,750
Rebuilds seem to vary wildly but I get it, you don't know what else is damaged until you open it up further. Range of £2-2.5k starting - I know there are people that end up with that as their final bill and others who end up north of the cost of replacing it.

What are your thoughts? I am tying myself in knots trying to decide on the best course of action. Any guidance greatly appreciated.
Based in SW London in case that makes any difference on advice.

Why do either?....unless the car is very low miles or has sentimental value there are loads around that sort of age for under £4k........

what caused the no oil pressure? faulty oil pressure switch?
The most common cause is running out of oil… Hopefully not what happened, but if the engine is now knocking, it may well be ‘Donald Ducked’. Unless the OP has the skills and resources to strip, inspect and rebuild the engine, it looks to me like swap the engine or scrap the car.

Scrap the damaged car and buy an UNMOLESTED PETROL "runner" with long MOT, uninterupted SERVICE HISTORY with no unlicenced gaps off the road, FEWER OWNERS the better. NOT coloured red and check the rear subframe has been replaced--see post 2

I certainly wouldn’t bother paying someone to rebuild that engine going by what’s happened - sounds like trouble.

£3750 doesn’t seem great value for a replacement engine either but if the car was otherwise exceptional it could just about be worth it.

Personally it sounds like your best option is to sell the car on as is/for spare or repairs and put the proceeds plus £3/4k towards it and buy another one :thumb:

My recommendation would be toT get what you can from it sold as seen and buy a replacement.

Such a big job doesn't come without risks so just enjoy buying a new one

It’s scrap. Repairs run over estimate / budget and leave a residual fear of unresolved further issues.

There will be a scrap value in this day and age as many components can be remarketed

The most common cause is running out of oil… Hopefully not what happened, but if the engine is now knocking, it may well be ‘Donald Ducked’. Unless the OP has the skills and resources to strip, inspect and rebuild the engine, it looks to me like swap the engine or scrap the car.
indeed but if it was my car i would want to know what caused the no oil pressure

indeed but if it was my car i would want to know what caused the no oil pressure
I get that and agree. The point I was (poorly) making, is that an oil pressure switch failure doesn’t cause low oil pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom