HOW TO: Install Electric Rear Blind on a W124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thank you guys.

Well, it's very hard to make the decision (according to your both opinions)!! Because I'd like to replace the blind with the new type. Would it be any problem if I use saloon's type?

To my knowledge there is no difference between a saloon or coupe rear blind.

I don`t know about the early one Billy but the way the later one works the saloon one would be different due to the rear window

I don`t know about the early one Billy but the way the later one works the saloon one would be different due to the rear window

I hear what you are saying Dash, but they are the same. If you look at the blind in yours, you'll see that once fully extended it's actually starts on the inside of the speaker grills.

The coupe starts in this position also.

The coupe has a larger window than the saloon bottoming outwards but the blind wouldnt be able to componsate for that as when its fully extended it cannot go any more wider at the top of the glass as the arms of the blinds are close to the top corners.

These blinds have better coverage on the bottom corners on saloons because the window shape is more 'square' compared to the coupe.

Hi Billy. I am after getting a scissor type blind from a Coupe. I have a pre face lift Coupe without headrests, do you know what the differences are for fitting please ?

Hi Dave, pre facelift blinds have a guide rail in the middle but i don't think there will be an issue with fitting the scissor type with the use of the shelf without headrests. Once you peel back the lining at the bottom of the shelf you should see the marked line where to cut for the blind.

Has anyone tried this on a w210? Also mine has the Bose system so can I even do it at all? Would love the rear blind and folding mirrors LOVE it.......

Thanks for this guide Billy, it has been very useful.

I have installed a scissor blind in my 1988 CE and have some extra info I would like to add re older 124s.

There aren't pre drilled holes for mounting the blind and the parcel shelf doesn't have the markings for cutting out. I don't know what year they changed.

The wiring loom required to do the basic up and down is all of five wires so could be made up if expensive or not available. I will post up a basic diagram later.

This is the back of the switch.

DSC05977_zps5cb1e6ca.jpg

Five wires are all that's needed.

Three go to the busbar :
Brown is negative.
Grey/blue is switch illumination.
Black/yellow is accessory positive.

Two go to the motor:
Green to motor.
White to motor.

Length of loom :
From switch to motor is 540cm.
From switch to busbar is 150cm with the last 40cm of it free from the motor wires.

Last edited:
Its an old thread but its great to see the detailing once again :p
Billy, finally I see a burl wood trim that has the same buttons as mine... how do you stop fresh air in this one ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom