Replacement for my W211 320cdi 2005 estate (inline 6 3.2l) ...what now!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cellarmerc

Car
W211 E320cdi est. Elegance 2005
Maybe a silly thread but my 2005 W211 CDI estate ..inline 6 still drives well , especially after last service with engine mounts replaced, but paintwork is hard to keep looking good and overall it´s showing some age (340k km) ...what on earth do I replace it with at reasonable money to offer similar service? Having this automatic 6 cyl load hugger with extras for many years one gets used to space, the compromise of power and economy and a quality driving car . I really don´t want a 4cyl turbo eng nor battery hybrid and the v6 ie w212 I am told by my garage is a lesser car . Maybe I should look at a different German brand this time ...any suggestions from people who have had to make this choice before? This is my 2nd Mercedes estate and before that I drove Audi and BMW. The car is now old I know and I have not driven a modern car to see how old my car actually feels . Just asking what people think ....I have spent loads on servicing and upkeep so needs nothing at present and was offered 5k euros last week privately ..seems not bad but then what ? Should I drive on ...

Thanks
Tony

Instead of buying a newer e class I bought an older, very low mileage (40k miles) 2003 facelift s211 with the om648 engine; an absolute gem of a car. The only "better" estate car would be the same s211 with the e500 petrol engine.

ps I don't think the newer cars are "better" - they have been cost reduced, weight reduced and had bundles of expensive troublesome tech added to them.

The 212 did not get much of that "troublesome tech"......and with the possible exception of comfort (personal opinion) the 212 is a better car than the 211 in most ways that you can see/feel/measure. Newer and more modern....but not stuffed with tech. Looks a lot better too.....but again that's personal taste.

The 212 did not get much of that "troublesome tech"......and with the possible exception of comfort (personal opinion) the 212 is a better car than the 211 in most ways that you can see/feel/measure. Newer and more modern....but not stuffed with tech. Looks a lot better too.....but again that's personal taste.
That is probably true ...though the looks off 212 do not appeal to me much.....I will ponder the decision and take another look at used market but finding low milage old car is not easy

S212 350 CDI. The best option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom