• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Replacement key - is this normal?

such01

SUPPORTER
Car
E350 CDI W212
The AA are replacing a lost key on Monday and say it will take a good few hours to do as they need to remove the dashboard. It this normal and if so why?
Thanks

I'll give them a call to find out why they need to do that

Presumably because they don't have access to the MB central computer and can't code a new key to the car using the official route?

Are they intending to replace the EIS behind where the key goes in - so any other key you have for the car will no longer work? Does not sound right to me!

The AA are replacing a lost key on Monday and say it will take a good few hours to do as they need to remove the dashboard. It this normal and if so why?
Thanks

I've had keys cloned within 40 minutes, no need to remove the dash at all , they must be replacing the eis at the same time. Hopefully your doors will still lock and unlock off the supplied key ??

I spoke to them and they said they need to access EIS for codes. Not sure if this is correct but will find out on Monday

I spoke to them and they said they need to access EIS for codes. Not sure if this is correct but will find out on Monday
Yes it is correct (in a way) and he will basically remove your Key EIS (NOT THE DASHBOARD). No it probably wont take that long. He will be giving a bit of lee way in case there is anything our the ordinary that is found along the way. I just had a thought. If he is going to replace your actual electronic steering lock (ESL)module aswell aswell then yeah it would take few hours including taking apart a bit of the dashboard. Why would you want this done. if its getting done then good. Because if your ESL fails then the car will lose ignition and not start until the module is replaced with a mercedes one OR a simulator which is much less hassle in the long run. It DOES sound like hes just gonna remove your EIS key module tho and read it then simply add a key. It will show how many keys are programmed to it and will give an option to add another without having to delete any other keys (if thats what you want). If its a on the bench reader he has then EIS removed. Its not a biggie.

If the car is after I think 2015 /2016 the laptop locksmiths won't have the software availability, mercedes didn't sell it on yet , afaik. So possibly this is why the AA are taking this approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom