Replacement key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nevilledoreen

GEELONG WHICH IS 45 MILES FROM MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA
Car
1993 300SL R129
I have a 1993 ,R129 ,300SL and I want to purchase a second ignition/ door key .
Can someone advise me if I purchase a new blank less the electronics and get it cut to suit my car.
Can I then purchase a secondhand key with the electronics in it change the electronics to the new blade and reprogram it on my car ?
Regards
Neville

I went to Mercedes, my girlfriend dropped the old one down a drain by accident when loaded with shopping.

New key and bleeper came to £50 Viking Mercedes.

If you have the flip style key then you cannot reprogram them easily. Best to buy a new one from MB.
Cost here is around £150. Not sure in Australia.

I have a 1993 ,R129 ,300SL and I want to purchase a second ignition/ door key .
Can someone advise me if I purchase a new blank less the electronics and get it cut to suit my car.
Can I then purchase a secondhand key with the electronics in it change the electronics to the new blade and reprogram it on my car ?
Regards
Neville

No - the electronics cannot be reprogrammed (correction - there is one company that seems able to do, but typically same as dealer prices) - so grit your teeth, clench your buttocks and be prepared for a £225 bill. V5 & passport required to order from dealer

The flip keys are a bit cheaper, just bought some at around £150 + vat IIRC.

I bought a CLK about three years ago from a private vendor and one key works fine the other doen't work at all. Not conclusive but the manual key on the second fob (i.e.the one that doesn't work) will not open the locks manually. I havn't spoken to MB yet but my guess is that this second key isn't for this car!!! any advice? appart from check all keys before you buy the car.

I bought a CLK about three years ago from a private vendor and one key works fine the other doen't work at all. Not conclusive but the manual key on the second fob (i.e.the one that doesn't work) will not open the locks manually. I havn't spoken to MB yet but my guess is that this second key isn't for this car!!! any advice? appart from check all keys before you buy the car.

Assuming the other key does work with the manual bit then you are almost certainly right. Unfortunately the later keys are more expensive. Around £230 I think.

I would think that your suspicions are right if neither the electronic or the metal key unlock the car, assuming you've checked the batteries. Probably one that someone bought off ebay at sometime in the hope they could get it coded and cut! :doh:

Assuming that it's the 3 button type, a new one is £227 all inclusive from a main dealer. (Only way to go for these, unfortunately).
You will need to take the V5 / ID, (Passport/Driving Licence) / and possibly a recent utility bill. Takes about 5 working days for them to arrive at the dealers, pre-programmed and cut. (The two parts come from different places i believe and is to do with MB security).
£227 is a bit of a bitter pill to swallow, but better than being stranded if the only key you have fails or gets lost.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks all for the confirmation that I should have checked this detail and this mistake is going to cost me. Ho Hum! Particular thanks to diandave this looks like a real good lead. I will follow up the suggestion.

Many Thanks again

David

Hi diandave, Could I ask how much you paid and does Mark supply a metal blade key with the his and is the price included in his advertised prices?
Are the below prices inclusive or exclusive of VAT?

markmbkeys.JPG

The electronic 3 button fob from MB is £195 inc VAT
The metal blade part is £32 inc VAT

Hi diandave, Could I ask how much you paid and does Mark supply a metal blade key with the his and is the price included in his advertised prices?
Are the below prices inclusive or exclusive of VAT?

View attachment 32542

The electronic 3 button fob from MB is £195 inc VAT
The metal blade part is £32 inc VAT

Hi Mike

The key is genuine Mercedes complete with metal blade, all prices include vat, and takes about 15 mins. to program.

Last edited:
Mercedes have stopped making the 3 button flip key that I need for my R129. Has anyone got any leads to companies who can supply a fob or re-programme a fob that I got from a breakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom