Retrofitting centre dashboard clock on R231

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tygertyger

Car
2014 W212 E Class & 2015 R231 SL
My SL is my forever car and to be fair comes with a great spec (airscarf, keyless entry, pan roof, electric wind deflector, upgraded alloys etc)

But the tiny detail the original owner forgot to specify is the optional analogue clock on the centre of the dashboard.
[IMG]

There are a couple beginning to appear on EBay so does anyone know please whether I can retrofit one?

Is there a trim panel which helpfully lifts out or would it be a case of replacing the entire upper dashboard (in which case it really wouldn't be worth it).

What about the electrics? Would it be plug and play or does it need to be programmed in so that it syncs with the other clock in the car etc etc?

Any help appreciated please before I decide whether it is worth the cost and trouble.

Thanks

It needs coding. I believe youve contacted us already. We are working on a quote for you.

My SL is my forever car and to be fair comes with a great spec (airscarf, keyless entry, pan roof, electric wind deflector, upgraded alloys etc)

But the tiny detail the original owner forgot to specify is the optional analogue clock on the centre of the dashboard.
[IMG]

There are a couple beginning to appear on EBay so does anyone know please whether I can retrofit one?

Is there a trim panel which helpfully lifts out or would it be a case of replacing the entire upper dashboard (in which case it really wouldn't be worth it).

What about the electrics? Would it be plug and play or does it need to be programmed in so that it syncs with the other clock in the car etc etc?

Any help appreciated please before I decide whether it is worth the cost and trouble.

Thanks
Strange thing that - I didn't have one in my SLK and always wanted one. When I ordered my SL, I did specify one and am happy that I did. Seems to enhance the interior.

ooo - i didn't know these could be retrofitted...
I might have to ask for my SLK..although with the front parking sensor display mounted in front of that grill, it might not look so good...

Hi all, just joined the forum, so its a hello from Sydney Australia. After many happy years, have moved from my CLK500 to a new SL400 R231. So far very happy with it.

Tygertyger came across your post re a retrofit of an analogue IWC clock to a R231. Your post is a 100% my story! Can I ask what the status is? Did you get the info needed? What parts are required? How complex is the work? Keen to hear. Thanks in advance.

Did the same thing in my Cayenne , purchased the clock panel new from the dealers (£100) and was going to fit a genuine Porsche clock but it needed tapped into the cars fiber optic comms ring plus it was going to be £450 for decent used clock and their hand fall off.

Purchased a new matching clock from R Spec gauges (£45) and made a stepped stainless spacer to fit it to the new trim piece and wired it into an unused fuse socket - jobbed , jobbed.

Not fully "factory" but to the untrained eye from a distance through privacy glass without the specs on it looks fine,

K

Hi all, just joined the forum, so its a hello from Sydney Australia. After many happy years, have moved from my CLK500 to a new SL400 R231. So far very happy with it.

Tygertyger came across your post re a retrofit of an analogue IWC clock to a R231. Your post is a 100% my story! Can I ask what the status is? Did you get the info needed? What parts are required? How complex is the work? Keen to hear. Thanks in advance.
Hi

I had two very helpful replies (including from a member on this forum) and the good news is that it can be done.

I have copied one of their replies below and I decided I could not justify the cost. Maybe if I could get hold of a second hand clock it would help - and ironically I see there is one on EBay Australia which might be of interest to you.

Let us know how you get on please.

Mike

"It is possible to retrofit clock to SL.

The MB parts with the better IWC clock work out at £462 (£50 less for a plain clock)

If we install we would charge £xxx. Alternatively we can build you a plug and play harness for £xx. The installation would require removing the radio which is fairly involved. If you are happy with removing and refitting many pieces of trim... ... but I would say that it is not for the feint hearted."

Hi

I had two very helpful replies (including from a member on this forum) and the good news is that it can be done.

I have copied one of their replies below and I decided I could not justify the cost. Maybe if I could get hold of a second hand clock it would help - and ironically I see there is one on EBay Australia which might be of interest to you.

Let us know how you get on please.

Mike

"It is possible to retrofit clock to SL.

The MB parts with the better IWC clock work out at £462 (£50 less for a plain clock)

If we install we would charge £xxx. Alternatively we can build you a plug and play harness for £xx. The installation would require removing the radio which is fairly involved. If you are happy with removing and refitting many pieces of trim... ... but I would say that it is not for the feint hearted."
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I had assumed it can be done. I am surprised the group you have copied indicate the need to remove the radio! I guess it so they can tap into the harness. I would have thought the connection to power up the clock would be under the speaker/vent grille.

1604028830217.png

I have the part number for the IWC clock - A231 82700170 and the cover grille for the clock - A231168032369H15.

My question concern, is some form of harness required and what coding is required to get the car to talk to the clock, so to speak.

Yes the price of the IWC clock is a major hurdle! Still I have found new on eBay for 35% less than Mercedes Benz dealer price. This quote you refer to, was that from a MB dealer?

Thanks again

John

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I had assumed it can be done. I am surprised the group you have copied indicate the need to remove the radio! I guess it so they can tap into the harness. I would have thought the connection to power up the clock would be under the speaker/vent grille.

View attachment 104181

I have the part number for the IWC clock - A231 82700170 and the cover grille for the clock - A231168032369H15.

My question concern, is some form of harness required and what coding is required to get the car to talk to the clock, so to speak.

Yes the price of the IWC clock is a major hurdle! Still I have found new on eBay for 35% less than Mercedes Benz dealer price. This quote you refer to, was that from a MB dealer?

Thanks again

John
Hi

I didn't approach MB dealer. Both (very helpful) replies were from indys.

I obtained quotes for them to supply and fit everything. Both said the clock was not plug and play, and would require a harness to be built. That's all I know as I decided it was not worth the cost for me.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom