Reverse camera W204

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikrt

Car
2013 C220 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY AMG Sport Plus 7G-Tronic Plus 4dr
Have been mulling it over for quite a few months now and have finally decided to go for it and install a new android head unit, from China. currently have audio 20 4.5

I've also decided to get a reverse camera at the same time and would like dynamic lines.

The seller of the head unit sells reverse camera, but says his basic one only has fixed lines. But another (more expensive, affixed to boot handle) camera would have dynamic lines.

My query is, that I presumed all cameras did the same job and that the head unit would be the deciding factor. Or is it just down to the camera, of which there are plenty on eBay claiming to have dynamic lines.

Thanks.

If you buy a modern, model-specific head unit, you will need a camera without built-in parking lines, as your head unit should get that info from the steering wheel position via CANbus:

32084934827_d378d1b17e_o.jpg

The cam may either have a wire you'd need to cut, to get rid of the static lines, or you can order one without lines for some models.

Built-in dynamic guide (which is still generic anyway), only makes sense, when the head unit is not advanced enough to get the info from the car's CANbus.

Thanks GLK,

So this is what I'm after

US $442.0 35% OFF|4G LTE 4G+64G Android 10.0 Car multimedia player radio GPS Navi For Mercedes C Class W204 C180 C200 C220 C230 Right Hand Drive|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

Would you reckon this unit should do my dynamic lines with any camera? Or will I need a specific type?
Yup, this unit will provide true dynamic parking guide for reversing camera (it's much more advanced than mine anyway) - under 'Support All Car Original Function' [sic] heading, it says: Support parking trajectory / radar.

It'll work with most cameras, and if you pick one with mirror image and static guides ON/OFF option (by cutting either green or white wire) it will definitely work.

I would also take the cam apart (rear cover) and re-seal it with quality silicone adhesive - didn't do that for mine and it's misted on the inside two years down the line.
Considering I paid less than £15 for it, it's not too bad, but still ... the new one has a better lens, so an upgrade anyway - fitting it next weekend:

Yup, this unit will provide true dynamic parking guide for reversing camera (it's much more advanced than mine anyway) - under 'Support All Car Original Function' [sic] heading, it says: Support parking trajectory / radar.

It'll work with most cameras, and if you pick one with mirror image and static guides ON/OFF option (by cutting either green or white wire) it will definitely work.

I would also take the cam apart (rear cover) and re-seal it with quality silicone adhesive - didn't do that for mine and it's misted on the inside two years down the line.
Considering I paid less than £15 for it, it's not too bad, but still ... the new one has a better lens, so an upgrade anyway - fitting it next weekend:

That's brilliant to hear, thank you.
I'm guessing the seller is not as clued up as you are, and just a reseller with no tech knowledge.

Reactions: GLK
I had the original MB camera retrofitted by Comand UK, they did a great job and I am very happy with it.

The original MB camera has two advantages - (a) the quality is fantastic, (b) it's the only camera - as far as I know - that fits into the original camera location inside the boot handle trim.

It also has two disadvantages - (a) it is quite expensive, and even more so when you add the cost of the new MB boot handle trim with the camera recess, (b) it does not have the parking guideliness, which some people prefer.

I didn't have the luxury of OEM camera availability for my little car, so had to improvise ;)
Having a pre-cut, or at least designated, mounting point for a cam is a fantastic advantage.

With all the capabilities of the unit mentioned, would there be any great advantage for adding carplay do you think? I have never used it, but it seems everything would already be on the unit.

With all the capabilities of the unit mentioned, would there be any great advantage for adding carplay do you think? I have never used it, but it seems everything would already be on the unit.

You car does not have native support for Apple CarPlay.

Your options are to either (a) fit an aftermarket Apple CarPlay add-on kit, e.g. from www.comandonline.co.uk, or (b) to fit a complete new aftermarket Head Unit with built-in Apple CarPlay to replace the original Head Unit..

I've added a CarPlay to my Android head unit, but don't really use it that often - e.g. when we (or passengers) wanted to listen to something other than usual selection of, mostly classical, music on the little USB stick, etc. Still, a nice option to have, and an extra gadget, so couldn't resist ;)

Thanks again @GLK

@markjay the unit I'm about to buy, link in post #3 , has an upgrade to carplay for extra cost, I'm just not sure whether I need it given all the unit already does.

Reactions: GLK
Thanks again @GLK

@markjay the unit I'm about to buy, link in post #3 , has an upgrade to carplay for extra cost, I'm just not sure whether I need it given all the unit already does.

Apple CarPlay is a good thing because it gives you (arguably) safe access to your mobile phone's basic functions while driving. If you are happy to only use the Android system's functionality than that's fine, but keep in mind that if your mobile phone is an iPhone that synchronising between the iPhone and the Android will be a struggle. This applies to contacts, music (Spotify /Apple Music), messaging, etc.

The other interesting dilemma would be whether to opt for an Android system at all? The alternative would be a simple Apple CarPlay add-on to your existing system. You could argue that once you have Apple CarPlay, you don't really need anything else. So if you still opt for both, you may end-up in a situation where all you will be using from the new Android unit are the larger display and touchscreen features, in effect making it a 'dumb terminal' for the Apple CarPlay setup.

Get a Grip Lads.

Its just a few tips on how to look after your Tyres not a Degree in English Language :wallbash:
Apple CarPlay is a good thing because it gives you (arguably) safe access to your mobile phone's basic functions while driving. If you are happy to only use the Android system's functionality than that's fine, but keep in mind that if your mobile phone is an iPhone that synchronising between the iPhone and the Android will be a struggle. This applies to contacts, music (Spotify /Apple Music), messaging, etc.

The other interesting dilemma would be whether to opt for an Android system at all? The alternative would be a simple Apple CarPlay add-on to your existing system. You could argue that once you have Apple CarPlay, you don't really need anything else. So if you still opt for both, you may end-up in a situation where all you will be using from the new Android unit are the larger display and touchscreen features, in effect making it a 'dumb terminal' for the Apple CarPlay setup.

Lots of info there @markjay, thanks.

Even more for me to consider.

I'm Samsung, Mrs is iPhone.

Lots of info there @markjay, thanks.

Even more for me to consider.

I'm Samsung, Mrs is iPhone.

For Android, you'll obviously need the new head unit to have Android Auto for your own phone, in addition to Apple CarPlay for your wife's.

Thanks to freebies from daughter and SIL we went iPhone for a while - initially 4's, then wife went 5. Changed wife's to HTC One then both changed to Samsungs (Galaxy A10's), you won't catch us ever going back to iPhones! So nice to plug the phone into the PC and see everything on it for downloading and deleting photos and videos, no messing with iCloud and iTunes! Plus the Samsungs mate with the Comand system as soon as we get into the car - and if we're both in the car it tells you which of the 2 it's connected to.

So if it was to be mainly me using car, without an iPhone, I can't see much benefit.

and if we're both in the car it tells you which of the 2 it's connected to.
My car asks me which one of the two iPhones I'd like to use to make outgoing call :p
I went from Unix / Linux to Apple over a decade ago, and never looked back ... I still run a couple of Linux VMs on Apple hardware, but ... ;)
I do have access to all the files and folders on our iPhones though - old dog, new tricks ... learn fast

So in the end, I chickened out of buying an Android head unit due to various feedback reviews (mainly poor to be honest). But I did buy a Carplay/Android Auto wireless module https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000765817904.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5bbf4c4dX7a3Ru which I'm about to fit, along with a reverse camera which plus into the new unit.

I've just removed original head unit, and I've found a spare/removed lead. I think it's an LVDS cable. It looks like the original yellow (which I found hanging loose) one has been removed, and a green one plugged in - in it's place.

LVDS.jpg
At the other end of green one which was plugged in is this
LVDS1.jpg

It looks like it goes towards the Becker SatNav unit, but not 100%.

Anybody have any idea why that should have happened, and what difference it's made?

Thanks in advance, again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom