Ring tyre inflator won’t work on Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nagantino

Car
Mercedes C class AMG
I bought a Ring tyre inflator for when my tyres need to be pumped up. The computer is showing the rear driver tyre needs inflation. The little Ring inflator won work though. It works fine on my wife’s can and on my previous car, an Audi. When fitted onto the valve it is actually letting air out! The dash is great for showing when the tyres need inflation but this is a nuisance. I have to go to a machine 50p, or a tyre fitter. The guy there says My inflator is not for a Mercedes. It only cost £42 but still. Any one come across this problem?

At a guess, the shape of the valve body means the hose attachment can't screw down far to make a proper seal?

Had this problem with old Michelin inflators and a set of winter wheels - I just added one of these to the end of the hose.

51ibPHn+MnS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I use something slightly different but very similar in principle:

Screenshot-20230622-094840-Amazon-Shopping.jpg

Might be down to TPM system the valve will need more presure to infate the tyres i dont know .
But the only one i use now is the screw on conector ,,its fool proof . Those push over leavers are old hat now.

It could indeed be the TPM, it works perfectly on my non-TPM mercedes. 0-30 (psi) in 90 seconds
biggrin.gif

Here’s the inflator model. It works great on other cars, Audi and Chrysler for example but not the Mercede. I’ve sent off for an adapter so I will let everyone know.

Attachments

• IMG_6767.jpeg
    IMG_6767.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Here’s the inflator model. It works great on other cars, Audi and Chrysler for example but not the Mercede. I’ve sent off for an adapter so I will let everyone know.
Not much help, really, but I had a similar problem with both W205s which had TPMS valves except it was with the pressure line at my local fuel station; the TPMS valve bodies were shorter than traditional valves and I couldn't get a seal. Even my local tyre fitter struggled.

Ernie

The only way that would let air out is either the end isn't screwed on far enough , or that black button on the side is being pressed. I sent away for an adapter piece for my new alloys as the valve was inside the wheel and not mounted on the rim edge . Problem was screwing it back off fast enough before air escaped . Pita tbh.

I bought a £13 Ring inflator and thought it wouldn't last. Now 5 years old and used numerous times. Works on our MB's fine.

I changed the screw-on connector with the lever type from eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom