Road/tyre Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

esox

i have a 2002 (old model) clk 230k which is good apart from intrusive road/tyre noise on anything but the best surfaces.my previous c220cdi(new model)was better.i know the clk is an older design but is this typical?is it the same with the c-class on which the clk is based?

What size wheels are they? 17 or 18inch wheels will kick up a lot more noise than 15-16inch. I really noticed it when driving the demo car which had the 18inch AMG alloys on.

its got the standard 16,s 205/55 tyres.(avantgarde)

I cured my tyre noise by buying quieter tyres. :)

Or a louder stereo!

My previous car had 17inch wheels and the road noise was pretty loud (not helped by the rest of the car being very quiet), my didy 16 inch's are nice and quiet, just don't look the same.

Different makes/types of tyres give widely different levels of noise, more so than changing aspect ratios.

Do a guick search on the net for Tyre reviews, there is always some information in these about noise.................that should help you decide.

You have to be careful to pick exactly the tyre they tested though, all bets are off if you go for another version in the range.

Generally. (but not always) Michelin tyres tend to be quiet, but they're almost never available at discount.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom