Rude cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
Today I was driving home from Edinburgh and there were some cylists on the the road, normally fair enough, except for one thing, there was a whopping big cycle track running next to the road (B road).

The council went to great expense to put this cycle track in for this minority group, instead of widening it for the vehicles that pay VED, so they (cylists) would be safer, and cars less inconvienced (although I would prefer a wider road-cars ain't getting smaller these days).

I tooted my horn about 300 ft away, as I anticipated the cylists and I would meet in a blind corner so they would be aware a significant queue would be behind them and that moving to the cycle track (which they should have been on anyway) would maybe cross their mind. Nope.

I had to reduce my speed from 40mph to 5 mph, okay, over take when safe. Except one thing, there is a good lane for them to be on, so why should I be inconvienced because they are too selfish to use it. So I tooted my horn and gestured to them to get on to the lane. You would think after seeing the ten queue car, the wide cycle track all of 2 feet away the 3 fellas would get the message.

Nope, he dismounted, hurled "whats you f**king problem". I shouted "you, get onto the cycle lane". Him "F*** off u ****". They then crawled along thru the bend, and I did a kickdown to get past quickly in case he tried to damage my pride and joy. The did the w**nker symbol.

I needed to rant this one out, so thanks for listening. But my question is, where do these people get off. Someone with a less even temperment would have charged their car at them, if he so much as touched it, I'd have hit the gas, and watched him become a cripple.

Adjust your screenwashers so that the very left hand side one squirts to the side of the screen ...

Found it works a treat with rude cyclists and doesn't give them enough time to react ....

Don't get caught at the lights though ;) ( unless you like a rumble )

I always remember when I had not long passed my test, and a cyclist blocked the road so I couldn't pass. It was around Christmas, and my Dad in the passenger seat had put a few beers away earlier in the day. He had a pop at the cyclist, who gave the international coffee bean sign.

It was all I could do to keep my Dad from slapping this bloke stupid, he blasted at me PULL OVER, I'M GOING TO TEAR HIS F'IN HEAD OFF lol. The bloke soon shifted past where I'd pulled over.

They seem to think they have more rights than car users. Every car on the road pays for it, a bike doesn't.

Let me take you to the Rainford by-pass. A purpose built cycle lane runs along both sides from St Helens to Skelmersdale. Ever seen a bike on it...No, I never have. I do however, see cycle clubs using this stretch of dual carr for their pointless time trials. Funny that, I thought organised racing was illegal on a public highway.

What I don't understand is the way they put themselves in danger for no good reason. If they are killed they seem happy to go knowing the motorist will get all the blame. They are all bonkers.

Secondly, getting on your bike is not green anymore. Almost every car that passes them has to slow done to a crawl and accelerate up to speed again. The amount of CO2 they cause to be put into the atmosphere should be reason enough to hang them! Anyone got a rope?

Russ

Lycra Louts. A particularly unpleasant breed of cyclist. Pretty dumb to mix with cars and trucks when there's an empty safe cycle track to rip up though :confused:

A few years ago the local council spent hundreds of thousands of our hard earned cash to provide a cycle lane on a narrow but busy road. I have yet to see a cyclist use this lane. There are always queues on this road as drivers try to get past the cyclists.
I used to be a keen cyclist at one time so have nothing against them but some of these idiots need to learn some manners.:crazy:

The did the w**nker symbol.

Who did, you or him?

I've had similar experiences where car drivers think cyclist MUST use the cycle lanes even on a deserted dual carriageway. Not so a cyclist has a right to ride on the main carriageway more so than a car driver as they are just granted lcience to use it.

Have you tried cycling on a cycle path at 25-30mph? It's terrible.

Last edited:
Today I was driving home from Edinburgh and there were some cylists on the the road, normally fair enough, except for one thing, there was a whopping big cycle track running next to the road (B road).

The council went to great expense to put this cycle track in for this minority group, instead of widening it for the vehicles that pay VED, so they (cylists) would be safer, and cars less inconvienced (although I would prefer a wider road-cars ain't getting smaller these days).

I tooted my horn about 300 ft away, as I anticipated the cylists and I would meet in a blind corner so they would be aware a significant queue would be behind them and that moving to the cycle track (which they should have been on anyway) would maybe cross their mind. Nope.

I had to reduce my speed from 40mph to 5 mph, okay, over take when safe. Except one thing, there is a good lane for them to be on, so why should I be inconvienced because they are too selfish to use it. So I tooted my horn and gestured to them to get on to the lane. You would think after seeing the ten queue car, the wide cycle track all of 2 feet away the 3 fellas would get the message.

Nope, he dismounted, hurled "whats you f**king problem". I shouted "you, get onto the cycle lane". Him "F*** off u ****". They then crawled along thru the bend, and I did a kickdown to get past quickly in case he tried to damage my pride and joy. The did the w**nker symbol.

I needed to rant this one out, so thanks for listening. But my question is, where do these people get off. Someone with a less even temperment would have charged their car at them, if he so much as touched it, I'd have hit the gas, and watched him become a cripple.

Just to correct you in the fact that, VED is a tax based on the emissions of a vehicle. Bikes give off zero emissions and therefore cyclists are not obliged to pay VED (as are some cars that give off very low emissions). Aditionally VED is not actually set aside for road maintenance. The money for this comes from general taxation which is paid for equally by cyclists (besides - even though you can't travel on both at the same time, you can actually own a bike as well as a car!)

As regards the use of cycle lanes,The Highway Code merely suggests that you might do so but this is by no means compulsory - it's a matter of choice, so you are not actually correct to tell anyone to do so.

I could never condone the behaviour of any ill-mannered member of society, but you told the guy to do something he is not actually obliged to do, i.e. use the cycle lane - and he swore at you!!!

That person with "less even temperament" likes to hide behind the armoury of his car and forget that cyclists are actually people who have mums and dads (and sometimes children).

It's live and let live on the roads.

Last edited:
They should be made to use cycle lanes for their own safety. We are made to wear seat belts for our own safety so what's the difference

They should be made to use cycle lanes for their own safety. We are made to wear seat belts for our own safety so what's the difference

That would be akin to a cyclist having to wear a helmet compulsarily.

Cycle lanes are not built to a decent standard so are not decent to ride on. If that was sorted I'm sure many more cyclists would use them.

What's wrong with compulsory helmets for cyclists.?
The subject of safety has been taken out of the motorists hands with seat belts, child car seats, mobile phone bans and Motorcyclists are required to wear helmets .

Clearly an emotive thread peeps, softly softly..

That would be akin to a cyclist having to wear a helmet compulsarily.

why not? motor cyclists have to.

Cycle lanes are not built to a decent standard so are not decent to ride on. If that was sorted I'm sure many more cyclists would use them.
the roads are not any better, probably worse!:devil: ;)

the roads are not any better, probably worse!:devil: ;)

Incorrect. Even with the pot holes and speed humps thay are much smoother than a pavement dressed up as a cycle track.

Oh good, another cyclists thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom