Rumble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul m

Car
S 320 cdi
Have a real low down rumble / vibration, at speeds from 20 mph up to 50mph, isnt coming from engine as i have put it into neutral and coasted still there, strange thing is its not there in the morning because the car is garaged and always about 8/9 deg, but left at work these last few weeks in real cold temps the noise is always there,as soon as i have covered about 5 miles its gone and everything is smooth again no noisey diff/ no noisey wheel bearings /no wheel wobbles, so it is almost certainly temp related, may be thickening of oil somewhere, not shure if it is in the middle or the rear but somedays it sounds real bad, anyone had this or know about it,

Not sure but it could be the gearbox mounting has gone hard so transmits noise. As the rubber warm it becomes more elastic.

Looks like i will have to get the car up on ramps to check them mountings,will let you know if i find anything.

paul m said:
Have a real low down rumble / vibration, at speeds from 20 mph up to 50mph, isnt coming from engine as i have put it into neutral and coasted still there, strange thing is its not there in the morning because the car is garaged and always about 8/9 deg, but left at work these last few weeks in real cold temps the noise is always there,as soon as i have covered about 5 miles its gone and everything is smooth again no noisey diff/ no noisey wheel bearings /no wheel wobbles, so it is almost certainly temp related, may be thickening of oil somewhere, not shure if it is in the middle or the rear but somedays it sounds real bad, anyone had this or know about it,
it sounds obvious but it could be tyres or balancing, cold tyres stood can leave a flat spot but when warmad up are fine,..

Never heard of that one before, but worth looking into though, if that where the case tyres must be faulty or one of them, suppose i could put spare on each corner over four days and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom