• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

S class tail lights

Chas

Car
Mercedes GLE 300D 4Matic AMG line
is the box in this picture ,second right, a resistor for the LED bulbs ? It can be unplugged if required. I have a tail light bulb error showing. If it is a resistor could it be faulty?

03-MBZS00TLEDG2-S-2.jpg

It looks like a heatsink with some double-sided tape on it so it's likely to be a resistor!

The wiring diagram does not show any connectors for the wires between the rear SAM and the rear lamp. What colour are the wires? Any part numbers visible?

They are after market ( ebay USA ) W221 look alikes. They look great and all is working ok apart from the error in cluster TAIL LIGHT "L". Its possible a wire has come loose from the resistor where they go inside the lamps. The right one is not showing any errors. I swapped resistors but made no difference

They are after market ( ebay USA ) W221 look alikes. They look great and all is working ok apart from the error in cluster TAIL LIGHT "L". Its possible a wire has come loose from the resistor where they go inside the lamps. The right one is not showing any errors. I swapped resistors but made no difference

I see, did you measure the current each side draws? Are you sure there are no failed LEDs?

All LEDs are working ok. The two bulbs which are replaced by LED were 4W each. Would increasing the resistor size cure the problem?
My meter is broken so I cant check the current just now.

Just checked, the left hand resistor is not heating up so I guess its not wired properly to the light ( the right one is lukewarm as it should be and not too hot)

Last edited:
Just did a continuity test and the circuit is broken on one of the wires (green/white)

The same circuit on the other tail light is ok

Last edited:
I see, did you measure the current each side draws? Are you sure there are no failed LEDs?

Just noticed, there are three tiny Led's on the side of the lamp about 1.5 mm diameter which are not working. Could this cause the resistor to stop working?

Attachments

• led.jpg
    led.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Multimeter readings on both lights

Readings of both tail lights(left one shows up cluster error) below, any experts got any suggestions please ? They both work ok, just the left hand tail light resistor isnt working and shows up in cluster as failed bulb ,thanks

Attachments

• RESISTOR.jpg
    RESISTOR.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 83
  • wiring v1.jpg
    wiring v1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 85
  • RESISTOR 1.jpg
    RESISTOR 1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I'd like to see the wiring diagram of the resistors. Does it have a resistor to ground for each bulb in order to increase the current to the same level as a normal bulb would draw?

Can you measure the resistance from the light connector, from each bulb's feed to ground. Or even better if you have a 12 V source and measure the current each light draws.

I will give it a go. Where exactly should I place the probes for each of the above? thanks DB , your expertise is appreciated, my electrical skills are changing a bulb :doh:

If the light unit has the same connector pin numbers printed as the original, it should be the following (I'll put wire colours too, you can look from the car harness the pin numbers based on the wire colour if the connector does not have pin numbers). This is for the left tail light:

7: ground, brown
3: stop lamp, black/red (this should be a LED on the original too)
2: turn signal, black/white
5: tail lamp, grey/yellow
1: tail and parking lamp, green/pink
4: reversing lamp, grey/black
5: rear fog, grey/green (left hand steering only)

Resistance from the light connector, from each bulb's feed to ground

Attachments

• RESISTOR 2.jpg
    RESISTOR 2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 75
  • RESISTOR 3.jpg
    RESISTOR 3.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 105
Resistance from the light connector, from each bulb's feed to ground

Does "0" mean a short circuit or an open circut (0 ohms should be a short circuit but you should not see a working light in that case).

Can you remove the bulbs? Is the resistor still connected? Can you measure the resistance without bulbs?

What sort of multimeter do you have and which ohm range are you using it? The resistance of LEDs isn't really straightforward, this is why it would be better to measure the current drawn at normal operating voltage, or just the resistance of the additional resistors. Also keep the plus wire of the multimeter at the same side when measuring each bulb.

Actually easier to measure from the bulbs towards ground as you have done, instead of trying to find the connector pins.

5: tail lamp, grey/yellow = 1 OHM

Sorry, when I said 0 (zero) on readings, I meant the meter stayed at 1 (one). Its a Gunning multimeter, I am using the 200 ohm range

The two original bottom bulbs (4W +4W) are replaced by bulb holders with 2 wires from one and 3 from the other, of which 3 go to the LED circuit board and then back to the resistor with the other wire (2xpairs)

Last edited:
5: tail lamp, grey/yellow = 1 OHM

Sorry, when I said 0 (zero) on readings, I meant the meter stayed at 1 (one). Its a Gunning multimeter, I am using the 200 ohm range

The two original bottom bulbs (4W +4W) are replaced by bulb holders with 2 wires from one and 3 from the other, of which 3 go to the LED circuit board and then back to the resistor with the other wire (2xpairs)

I see now how the wires are connected. Is that tail lamp using LEDs too? One ohm sounds low, that should mean 12 A from at 12 V, meaning 144 W. Are you sure this is not a short circuit reading, often multimeter leads already give 1 ohm reading when connected to each other?

Of course each side should look the same, a bit odd where the differences come while you only have a bulb warning from one bulb.

The tail lamp "tail light" is LED,( 2 x4W bulbs in normal tail light ) which is the one which gived the error

I will wire up two 4 W bulbs and unplug the resistor, that should take up the slack and hopefully remove the cluster error.

All change! The tail light won't work without the resistor which is actually working. I put the temperature probe on the multimeter on the left resistor, and it rises to 26 degrees. The right one rises to about 31 degrees. When I checked both resistors the other day it was about 35 degrees outside in the sun. The right resistor was noticeably warmer but I couldnt detect by hand any change in the left one :crazy: :doh:

If I put another smaller resistor on the left tail light power wire (grey/yellow) and ground it,thus taking up more slack hopefully that will fool the OBC and stop the error message...........I hope:wallbash:

ps what size resistor to simulate 8 Watts ? (2 x4W bulbs) :confused: calculator here Resistor Calculator - LED Supply.com :dk:

Last edited:
The formula from the link is for the series resistor for the LEDs. I assume that is part of the LEDs at the bulb holder. The external resistor sounds like a parallel resistor that adds current draw to reach the same total amps as if there was a bulb.

If you put a resistor that draws the same current as two 4W bulbs, you would get too high current because the LED too does take some (just not enough).

8W equals 8W/12V current, that is 0.67A (assuming 12V voltage). A resistor for that current would have 12V/0,67A ohms (or 12V*12V/8W), that is 18 ohm.

You would have to measure the current drawn by the LED and subtract from the 0,67A.

It takes a good (big) resistor that can handle a heat dissipation of 8W or so.

If I wire up a 6W bulb to the grey/yellow tail light wire (power source)would this plus the LEDs (I would think about 1.5 watt) fool the OBC and stop the error message? The resistors are big (see photos), I dont know why the left hand one doesnt heat up as much as the right one, as they both are the same lights

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom