• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

S Class Who and Why

Benz17

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350d AMG Premium (W213)
Always wondered apart from chauffeurs, and royalty, what is the appeal of the S Class for Joe Public, and what age group are these buyers. (I’m 54)

Don’t get me wrong I like them very much, and always at the back of my mind fancy one, but they are large cars, compared to the E Class. The E Class size wise is perfect for me, but have always admired the S.

Was looking at the spec of the previous generation of the current model, (S350d)and the spec is almost identical to my current W213 E350d. Did read somewhere that in the Mercs any new tech introduced would first be introduced In the S Classs, this then filters down to other models.

IF i was to change, would I be in practice just be getting a larger car with almost same spec and ride quality, but with increase running cost, assuming fuel cost would be more compared to the E Class, Insurance also, not sure about servicing cost.

Just been curious about this for a while, so I thought I would put it out there, and get views.

Hi,
I think that if you can get your hands on an S class for the week-end, you'll see (or feel) the difference between the E and the S.

Although the S is slightly longer than the E, I don't think you'll notice the difference that much, except for underground car-parks, where the S can be a trial of skill and nerves. ;) Although I can imagine that on-street parking in London may be somewhat of a bother . . .

We have had no particular problems with our 350 which is now 11 - odd years old, but has always been serviced by Mercedes.

Hi,
I think that if you can get your hands on an S class for the week-end, you'll see (or feel) the difference between the E and the S.

Although the S is slightly longer than the E, I don't think you'll notice the difference that much, except for underground car-parks, where the S can be a trial of skill and nerves. ;) Although I can imagine that on-street parking in London may be somewhat of a bother . . .

We have had no particular problems with our 350 which is now 11 - odd years old, but has always been serviced by Mercedes.
Yes do live in London, with no off street parking. Admittedly never sat or driven an S Class.

I own an S class W222 ,2016 model, and the big difference compared to E class is the noise isolation and ride quality, S class has standard air suspension. Size wise I thought I might feel like a bit of an idiot as most of my driving is only me...but I don't feel awkward about it and love its waftiness and class...mine is the SWB, as I specifically did not want the LWB. Even then I do stay away from multi storey car parks...take the misuss's C class instead.You will really need to try one to see if it's right for you....

Rubbish.
An S class buyer will enjoy the experience of being in the most comfortable and luxurious model Mercedes produce.
Take a ride in an E class, then step into an S class. The difference is immediate.
If an owner can afford an S class, why not. It's not about status, its about getting a great car.

Last edited:
This thread has come at a time when I'm looking to do just as the op has wondered.

For me, it's at a time when I fancy a change in driving aspects. I fancy the more refined and comfort drive the S class supposedly offers. I have never sat in one, let alone driven one. My Dad has most recently purchased a lexus 400 LX. Agreed it's an old shaped vehicle, but behind the wheel it blows anything away I've ever driven. The car has very low mileage and just takes every poor surfaced road you throw at it. It's a delight to drive. Based on these findings, I have come of the opinion I would like to try a car that offers just that. Being an MB owner of now of 4 different variants in model. I feel I would like to stay with the brand I favour the best within all the car brands I have owned.

The Lexus being very similar in size to the S class I can only imagine to drive as well if not better on the right tyre/ suspension set up.

Reading up on s class reviews, it seems so much ticks my preferences right about now. The w212 is a splendid place to be behind the wheel of. But the S class can do it even better and more comfortably, without causing such a fuss. I don't need the roaring engine in my life anymore. Maybe it is an age thing, but for me now, I can only see one car I desire and that is the s class refinement. I'm hoping to be in one sooner rather than later.

Rubbish.
An S class buyer will enjoy the experience of being in the most comfortable and luxurious model Mercedes produce.
Take a ride in an E class, then step into an S class. The difference is immediate.
If an owner can afford an S class, why not. It's not about status, its about getting a great car.
Your opinion. Which, I think is rubbish!

S-class has always been about status. As others have already alluded to, it is not exactly a practical car in this country.

This thread has come at a time when I'm looking to do just as the op has wondered.

For me, it's at a time when I fancy a change in driving aspects. I fancy the more refined and comfort drive the S class supposedly offers. I have never sat in one, let alone driven one. My Dad has most recently purchased a lexus 400 LX. Agreed it's an old shaped vehicle, but behind the wheel it blows anything away I've ever driven. The car has very low mileage and just takes every poor surfaced road you throw at it. It's a delight to drive. Based on these findings, I have come of the opinion I would like to try a car that offers just that. Being an MB owner of now of 4 different variants in model. I feel I would like to stay with the brand I favour the best within all the car brands I have owned.

The Lexus being very similar in size to the S class I can only imagine to drive as well if not better on the right tyre/ suspension set up.

Reading up on s class reviews, it seems so much ticks my preferences right about now. The w212 is a splendid place to be behind the wheel of. But the S class can do it even better and more comfortably, without causing such a fuss. I don't need the roaring engine in my life anymore. Maybe it is an age thing, but for me now, I can only see one car I desire and that is the s class refinement. I'm hoping to be in one sooner rather than later.
I completely concur, my previous car was a C216 CL500, a lovely car of course, but I strangely prefer the overall experience of the newer S class, even thought it's just a diesel !....maybe it's since i hit 50yrs old..note, wheel size does affect ride , avoid 20inch.....

I would like one just because it’s the top of the tree in terms of luxury. But I’d keep a few £k aside for any expensive suspension stuff

Come on W1ghty, all us MB owners have to keep a few quid aside for our beloved motors 😄

Your opinion. Which, I think is rubbish!

S-class has always been about status. As others have already alluded to, it is not exactly a practical car in this country.
In your opinion. It's not one I share. Its just a nice luxurious comfortable car. Owning one isn't about status at all.

I completely concur, my previous car was a C216 CL500, a lovely car of course, but I strangely prefer the overall experience of the newer S class, even thought it's just a diesel !....maybe it's since i hit 50yrs old..note, wheel size does affect ride , avoid 20inch.....

Appreciate the advice on the wheel size thanks 👍. I'll be (46) in a couple months, can't believe I'm looking for the s class 😂😂. I done to much, much to young, that's the way I see it anyway. It's only a number isn't it 😄.

Not all S Class are the same. ;)

The saloon, particularly the long wheelbase ones, are a fair size though you soon get accustomed to the physical aspects and adjust your driving habits accordingly. The coupe on the other hand is a very similar size to the W213, which was the main reason I bought mine as it had to fit in the garage with room to spare.

I've had it over 3 years now, bought as a retirement present to myself, and still enjoy driving it. I find it a lot comfier and quieter than the E Classes it replaced, both the W212 & W213. It wafts along and eats miles when in C mode though can still pick it's feet up if it's asked to. It's a remarkably peaceful cabin, with luxurious seats and double glazed windows which all goes towards isolating you from the outside world, making long trips a pleasure instead of a chore.

Someone mentioned the wheel size: Mine has 20" rims with 35% profile rear tyres (40% front) and it's a lot smoother ride than the E Class was, though I will admit that it does get a bit "crashy" in S+ mode :)

I wasn't going to bother with the "status" comment, suffice to say that not many people would know what my car is, let alone think it was bought to prove something. Indeed, had I wanted that, I'm pretty convinced that I wouldn't have bought a Mercedes.

Why do people like nice things?
Why do some people have to have the best?

You can't compare an E class in any way to an S class. They're in a different league and usually at the top of their segment, You may compare an Audi A8 or a BMW 7 to an E class, but the S class is a different car. I've owned every model S class between 1968 and 2006 (W109-W220) with the exception of the W140. Each and every one of them is a level above an E class of the same generation.

Having had a S211, S212 and W221 ( facelift) in the space of two years, the S class wins by a large margin in comfort / noise isolation / ride quality and quality. You just feel the quality in the plastics / leather / interior build, not that the C & E are bad, but the S is a just another level up. My S212 had full airmatic ( front and rear) and still the S class rides better.

Have no regrets at all of swapping my W212 with a W221 ( same year - 2010) and I choose a SWB model as the LWB is a bit too big for me. Sizewise, between the S212 and the W221, they feel about the same size.

In your opinion. .....................................
Are you simply repeating what I said to you? Of course it is my opinion which is no less valid than your opinion.

I never said it was a bad or uncomfortable car. S-Class has always been a status symbol and MB market it as such.

We can agree to differ.

How long is a piece of string lol

There can't be that much difference in length between a swb and a lwb car can there. Whats a few inches between friends 😄

I understand for garages purposes or to actually fit in a purpose built garage or space but surely it's not that much of a difference for every day use

I'm going for the LWB, I can always say, I've got a bigger car than you 😂

I’d definitely consider an S, especially as you get incredible value for money on second hand models - but the long wheelbase version (which seems to be the only version in most of the world) is too long, unless you are indeed a chauffeur.

Even years ago, garages were only built for mini's, cant imagine getting a Ford Granada estate in a standard size garage to easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom