• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

S Class Who and Why

Each to there own, bigger the better I say 😁

So the LWB is 5" inches longer. Got to love that extra legroom.

The LWB won’t make any difference to driving it on the road, it’s manoeuvrability in tight spaces (like car parks) where those extra inches make themself most know to the driver.

Over the last two decades, I've had 2 S500's (W220 & W221), 4 E500's (211 and 212) and an E55.

My personal favourites, by a country mile were the S500L's for their leading edge tech, comfort, luxury and, power and ride quality.

But....my wife loathes the length of the S500L. She's tiny and loves her Mx5.

But 2....I always run older cars, a decade old. So I'm deliberately avoiding the tear-jerking depreciation of a less than six year old S class.

Reliability? Can't comment. I haven't had any repairs in maybe 150,000 miles, apart from an electric handbrake on the W221 which was jammed off when I bought it.

I can fit an S500L into my garage, which is nice, and I don't have to parallel park on London roads very often.

Have had "difficult situations" when trying to park these things in Paris and Monaco. French multi-storeys aren't made for cars this big. But they're just as bad for big SUV's

On the other hand, I did take a ride in a friend's brand new S500 this Christmas and I hated the Ipaddery of that central console. But then I hate most such displays - from Tesla S to EQS.

The only way to judge it is to just drive one yourself.

The LWB won’t make any difference to driving it on the road, it’s manoeuvrability in tight spaces (like car parks) where those extra inches make themself most know to the driver.

I'm used to car parks and the likes with the vehicles I drive on most occasions at work. I actually enjoy the challenge driven big plant and vehicles.

I would like one just because it’s the top of the tree in terms of luxury. But I’d keep a few £k aside for any expensive suspension stuff
My Indy says the 222s are very well made with really no issues. He looks after quite a few.
The difference is significant between E and S.The insulation, seat comfort and ride quality is very evident.

Friends have two 222 Maybachs and tbh, there is no sound or ride quality difference between the normal S and them.

The LWB rides better actually due to the front suspension having a little bit more time to settle before the rear needs to do anything.

Perfect timing for an S class post.

06:30H tomorrow (8 hours time) I will be sitting in the back of a new S class on my way to Heathrow, the company I use have two of them and a 7 series L BMW . I always ask for the S class , the BMW is fine , but sitting in the back of the S class is....class. These are 'chauffer' spec cars so no idea what the normal ones are like . Is there such a thing as a 'normal' S class 🤷‍♂️

Oddly enough they are AMG 'line' I questioned this with the owner of the company due to the larger diameter wheels and low profile tyres , but from my own experience sitting in the back on numerous occasions I can say that the ride is superb.

I also have no idea what it's like to drive , I have asked ,but get told 'not possible due to insurance issues' ... :D

There can't be that much difference in length between a swb and a lwb car can there. Whats a few inches between friends 😄

It makes a big difference. I've never considered a SWB S class ever. The extra couple of inches provides extra luxury for both front and rear seat passengers as both can stretch (the rear also get electric rear seats in many cases) and the extended wheelbase makes for a smoother ride (although the SWB are generally more sporty).

The best example of this is not an S class but the W107 SL / SLC class. Basically identical cars except the coupe has a longer wheelbase. It makes a huge difference to the way to comfort and ride that makes the SLC a much nicer car to live with.

Last edited:
Reactions: HB
It makes a big difference. I've never considered a SWB S class ever. The extra couple of inches provides extra luxury for both front and rear seat passengers as both can stretch (the rear also get electric rear seats in many cases) and the extended wheelbase makes for a smoother ride (although the SWB are generally more sporty).

The best example of this is not an S class but the W107 SL / SLC class. Basically identical cars except the coupe has a longer wheelbase. It makes a huge difference to the way to comfort and ride that makes the SLC a much nicer car to live with.

Was the overall length of the vehicle I was referring to. Interior extra leg room can only be a positive imo.

The LWB rides better actually due to the front suspension having a little bit more time to settle before the rear needs to do anything.
My comment was about the size causing issues/challenges rather than comfort. Personally I’d go for the LWB for the full experiences, and avoid tight car parks.

I think you'll find that all the extra length (13 cm) is in the rear passenger zone - so no extra leg room at the front . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom