S205 cooling working intermittently

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 122426

I bought my S205 last December from a franchised dealer with 2,600 miles on the clock (it was then nine months old). I've driven 6,000 miles since and it's already been back to the workshop five times to try to get this issue sorted.

It first manifested itself in cool, damp winter conditions - in the middle of a 300 mile drive with the climate control set on "Auto, AC, 21 degrees" I suddenly felt a rush of hot humid air and the car steamed up. It was so bad that I had to stop and clear the windows with a duster before I could carry on driving safely. I struggled with the condensation for another 30 miles or so when there was suddenly a welcome rush of cool dry air and the windows cleared almost immediately. The same thing has happened on numerous other occasions.

More recently, on the few warm sunny days we have had, there has sometimes been no cooling at all. In some instances when I first set out, with a baking hot car; on other occasions in the middle of a drive. The fan is blowing like crazy, the AC button is on, the temperature's set to LO. No cooling. Eventually there is a welcome rush of cold air and the interior quickly settles to a comfortable temperature. Almost half of a recent 425 mile journey to Scotland was without cooling.

I have concluded that both scenarios are down to the same fault - for some reason the gizmo that cools and dehumidifies the air is operating intermittently.

In five warranty visits my dealer has updated software, changed two sensors and has also replaced the AC control unit. After each visit they say they think they've solved the problem but so far they have been unsuccessful. Needless to say, it has never gone wrong when they've been working on it and they say there are no error codes in the system to help them. If I hadn't got video evidence of the fault I'm convinced they would have written this off as being in my imagination :devil:

Any advice from the members of this forum would be very much appreciated, I'm at my wits' end.

I have just replied to another thread regarding air con my 2014 E300 Hybrid used to do exactly this.

My 2016 E350 works perfectly.

I cannot believe Mercedes are not aware of this as there has been a few posts reporting similar issues.

Good luck getting it sorted.

I have just replied to another thread regarding air con my 2014 E300 Hybrid used to do exactly this.

My 2016 E350 works perfectly.

I cannot believe Mercedes are not aware of this as there has been a few posts reporting similar issues.

Good luck getting it sorted.

Would you mind sending me a private message with the registration number of your 'old' 2014 E300? If I may, I'll pass it on to my dealer for cross-referencing.

Thanks very much!

Would you mind sending me a private message with the registration number of your 'old' 2014 E300? If I may, I'll pass it on to my dealer for cross-referencing.

Thanks very much!

Hi colly54 I cannot pm you, something in the rules about needing a minimum thread count before this is allowed.

Hi colly54 I cannot pm you, something in the rules about needing a minimum thread count before this is allowed.

My email address (a temporary one to avoid spam) is mercedes220 (at) villa-caerus.eu

Many thanks!

Recently had my condenser replaced on my B Class, and it came with a dryer, wonder if your may be at fault. It is a sizeable job to replace, well certainly on my car, the front bumper and grill removed, the intercooler removed as well as one or two other bits.

The dealer will need to experiance this fault otherwise it will be virtually impossible to rectify unless you bolt parts to it on by one.

What have they done/replaced so far?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom