• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

S211 vs S212

350cls

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55k AMG Sold / S211 E320 CDI I6 W212 E63 6.2 N/A saloon.
I'm not sure If this has been covered before but I'll ask you guys your opinions anyway.

Having owned two w211's now and one w212. I wondering how they compare on a ride quality basis. The w211 e55 salon I had being the riding on cloud was an amazing experience. Was floating along to be fair, amazing ride, didn't feel hardy any road imperfections. Similar to the old s211 e320cdi I currently have. Glides along on the deep sidewall 17" tyres fantastic. The e63 w212 PFL I have is an amazing ride also. It's firmer on its softest setting but it not bad I anyway at all. I like it, I'm used to it. When I get in either i know what to expect.

With regards to the non AMG s212 models do they ride more firm than say a s211 e320.

Was interested in the estate 212. I have a fair idea on build quality as I own one in each model. But never driven the S212 to really appreciate how they ride and perform against the s211.

Do some S212 come with adjusting suspension like some 211 models. Is the ride quality more of a firmer experience in the 212 than the 211 in general or is it really model dependent and tyre wall, wheel size.

With my experiences I find the steering has more feel in the w212 and the w11 a bit more vague, like wallowy. Which isn't a bad thing it just feels that way. The 212 is more precise I find.

What I'm asking, is it basically like this in all models across the range of the two. Any owners that have experienced both s211 and s212 please share your thoughts.

Many thanks 👍

I can bore for England on this subject, so I’ll just try to keep it short.

My first point is about wheel and tyre size. This is a variable that makes a big difference. BMW, Mercedes and Audi have shoved the UK onto large wheel sizes with narrower tyre walls over the last thirty years and our ride quality has worsened as a result.

The second point is vehicle age: you’re broadly comparing decade old vehicles with cars twice the age, so maintenance / mileage becomes a variable.

Options make a difference: a few have air suspension which creates great ride quality but at the cost of maintenance risk. Personally I’ve never had a problem on air but I know others who have had expensive problems after high mileages on the 211 and 212, as well as the R230. Comfort and sports seats make a difference too.

Finally personal taste matters. Some are happy to rock around on 21’s or 20’s, especially if they’ve come from a (tramlining) BMW M Sport background, while others shudder. Without going all “Goldilocks and the Three Bears,” It all comes down to what you think is “just right.”

Mike

(Currently in a very rare Dreier estate with adaptive suspension running on 17’s)

Was floating along to be fair, amazing ride, didn't feel hardy any road imperfections. Similar to the old s211 e320cdi I currently have. Glides along on the deep sidewall 17" tyres fantastic.
Tastes and driving style also comes into it...the bit I quoted above is exactly how I don't want my car to feel!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom