• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

S212 Coil spring

Freddyg

Car
E220D S212
Hello folks,
I'm fairly new to the forum and to Mercedes ownership. My local MB independant is good, but a little too rich for me (e.g. quoted around £700 for an A5 service, I did it myself for around £200), therefore I am prepared to do most things myself.

I have a 2010 S212 with just under 130k miles on the clock. When I went out to the car this morning, I spotted a 'bit of metal' poking out from under the drivers side front wheel. Picked it up and, joy, it was a piece of the coil.

1695059794395.png

I think I have found the correct part number (OE A 2123211304) by looking up the VIN in a parts calatogue and looking at what's left of the spring in-situ; I can see it has four green dots.

I am happy to replace the spring myself, but whould like to know your experiences with a different brands - I am considering Suplex, Sachs and Bilstein. Are they any good/bad?

You advice and experiences are much appreciated.

Many thanks.

When I did my 2 fronts ,I bought full strut assembly from a breakers yard . £120 luckily both springs were about as new as could be . Easy to swap over .

As for your springs the world of mercedes springs is like outer space, vast and parts are yet to be discovered. For the ratings you'll find similar springs with colour dots at Autodoc . Anywhere else will sell you a spring for every occasion. Unlike mb which will probably have 50 different combinations ,because you have a cd player fitted . :-)

When I did my 2 fronts ,I bought full strut assembly from a breakers yard . £120 luckily both springs were about as new as could be . Easy to swap over .

As for your springs the world of mercedes springs is like outer space, vast and parts are yet to be discovered. For the ratings you'll find similar springs with colour dots at Autodoc . Anywhere else will sell you a spring for every occasion. Unlike mb which will probably have 50 different combinations ,because you have a cd player fitted . :)
You're not wrong there! Even though I have the parts catalogue and the VIN number, there are still multiple options available. I'm sure if I look again today, they will have changed because it is a tuesday!

Last edited:
Always replace springs in pairs especially the fronts

Yep. I've ordered a pair from Eurocarparts as I need them quickly. Would have cost £20 less if I'd bought from Autodoc, but their delivery times are hit and miss. Went for SACHS 993 652 in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom