• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

S212/W212 OM642 Oil filter fit

jvieira73

Car
2013 before facelift S212 E220CDI / 2006 W251 R320CDI
Hi, nice sunday to you all, a correction to the title, is an OM651!, I do have another Merc with OM642 but is not the case of this post.

Yesterday I performed the oil&filter change for my 400.000Kms S212 and for my surprse, the new oil filter cartridge didn't stay stuck on the oil filter suppport, comparing to the previous one that really stuck to place, the new one just stay loose. I check the oem number and was the correct so it should be a bad manufactured oil filter, ist loose enought that when i'm fitting it to the oil filter housing, it just falls down.

I ordered a new one that will arrive on monday but I as wondering what should be the consequences of using the car like this, I imagine that since the cartridge is not completly fit, the oil will spur in the gap resulting in a poor filtering condition, what is your opinion?

Last edited:
Was it a genuine Mercedes filter?

As well as the filter there are O rings that help to seal and maintain pressure in the housing.

Was it a genuine Mercedes filter?

As well as the filter there are O rings that help to seal and maintain pressure in the housing.
Hi, its not genuin and in fact I never used genuine filters, anyway is the first time that this happen, my question is more related o understand the consequences of having a loose fit cartridge

Hi, its not genuin and in fact I never used genuine filters, anyway is the first time that this happen, my question is more related o understand the consequences of having a loose fit cartridge
Does the oil pressure light go out immediately after starting the engine?

If so there shouldn't be a problem.

Also, when you tighten the oil filter cover (which, on mine has a spring) you will tighten down the filter element and therefore it will not be loose.

Yes, everything is running smothly with no light or whatever, what I think is that the oil could not being properly filtered, check image, I put the image of the the fitted filter, an Merc original one and a 3rd one just taken from the net, I put a 4rd pic with the cap/support with the filter fitted. Is my understanding that a seal could exist between the filter and the core part of the support, pointed with arrows, on the other hand, the 3rd filter pic, we can see that there isn't even rubber on that part of the filter.

Looking at the 4rd picture, I can imagine the oil flow, If the flow is like in the 2nd attached picture, then the seal is performed in the oil case and not in the center of the oil support, if so, the filtering will be ok.

Attachments

• tudo.jpg
    tudo.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 3
  • flow.JPG
    flow.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 2
If you're that concerned, wouldn't it be best to change it even if it's just for peace of mind?

If you're that concerned, wouldn't it be best to change it even if it's just for peace of mind?
:) I already ordered a different one, the fact is that I'm trying to understand how it works and I didn't find clear information on the net.
I'm just performing some lazy sunday morning couch exercise ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom