S600 v S500 (W221): Just how "risky" is the V12 compared to the V8 ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeInWimbledon

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
(Ex S211 E500, W212 E500, C216, S212 E500, W211 E500 5.5, W221 S500, S211 E500, SL500, S500, E55)
I'm tempted by a V12, rather than the V8, which I've had before.
Can anyone who has had one comment on how much more risky, or expensive an s600 would be, compared to the V8 ?
W221 only

As you know there are potential problems with coil packs and their controller and front discs and pads are a touch expensive but nothing like Ferrari etc realms. The S class is full of electrickery anyway so otherwise I doubt whether is a much difference in the risk. I'd hazard a guess that the V12 won't have been thrashed either simply because you don't need to. History of maintenance, mileage, owners and the old maxim of buying the seller and I doubt that you could go wrong anymore than with any other used car. Lovely quiet effortless ride, albeit at the cost of 20 or less mpg. (Ms Me got it down to 6 through the city.) Find a nice one and you won't regret it.

Not sure if its the same V12 but searching Legitstreetcars.com on Youtube you will find Alex (ex master MB technician) having to remove the entire engine to replace a quids worth of 'o' ring that rots with age rather than because the engine has been abused. Great engine but it appears fiendishly complicated .

His series of videos on the V12 in general is a bit of an eye opener on this engine. He has not posted on it for a while , I think he is going to tune it up.

People that buy 600's are certainly very brave...

I’m asking because there seems to be a constant flow of very high spec 600’s with low mileage and few owners, at prices barely different to comparable S500’s

They are truly lovely to drive and experience. The bi-turbo when mapped is a rocket ship. One day I will have one. But repair costs can be eye wateringly expensive. Budget £5k pa.
Man Maths is muttering to me that it might make “sense” if I kept the mileage down…

But what’s mpg at 40p a mile if maintenance is £1 a mile? But still far cheaper than a new normal motor..

Man Maths is muttering to me that it might make “sense” if I kept the mileage down…

But what’s mpg at 40p a mile if maintenance is £1 a mile? But still far cheaper than a new normal motor..
Go for it. I could do with a nice holiday....;)

They are truly lovely to drive and experience. The bi-turbo when mapped is a rocket ship. One day I will have one. But repair costs can be eye wateringly expensive. Budget £5k pa.
I spend 3k+ on w220

Life’s too short. Buy one, and worst case you get some big bills. If those become too much, or you don’t enjoy it, sell it.

Realistically you’ll lose less than most people do in depreciation on newer cars, best case you like the car and you may be pleasantly surprised if you’re lucky repair wise :cool:

I would just be ultra-picky on whatever you buy, and ideally get it inspected first :thumb:

Higher fuel costs, higher servicing costs, higher repair bills, and potentially higher insurance costs. More fun. Err.. that's about it, I think :D

I had a CL600 BT for over 3 years. 500bhp and 800nm torque.
Loved it. Any excuse to have a run out.
As i remember it was 6 years old when i bought it from MB Ayr. Less than 40k miles. There are 24 spark plugs. Worth a check when last done. Over £700 to change.... In 2011.
Brake discs were £80 each.
I think the only trouble i had was the water pump. I did purchase a tier 1 warranty every 12 months. At that time it was roughly £1000 per year. Servicing at a main dealer was reasonable, the ABC was incredible.
I think you owe it to yourself to get one. Faint heart and all that. 👍

Higher fuel costs, higher servicing costs, higher repair bills, and potentially higher insurance costs. More fun. Err.. that's about it, I think :D
And a far higher specification car, for not much more than a routine S500L

£700 to change the plugs?....gulp....how much of that was labour and how much for the plugs? It would have to be as really serous job before I ever paid anyone to change plugs for me!

Everyone should have a V12 at least once in their life.

I have the CL (2003). As already said, servicing is reasonable but there can be big ticket items. I've had to replace coil packs, plugs (twice), suspension pump and 2 struts. It goes in next week for €3000 worth of front suspension work. They are heavy cars.

Tyres seem to last about 4 years.

I have 2 V8s, a modified Jag XKR convertible and a lightly modded C4 Corvette. Both are extremely rapid but the CL is stock and in another league, if you want it to be, otherwise just cruise effortlessly. The 'vette is going, the CL is staying. I suspect the proceeds from the 'vette will come in handy/necessary over the next few years! 🙄

The M275 is rated as one of the great Merc engines. It has it's foibles (e.g. dribbling oil cooler in the middle of the "v"). I get 23 - 27 mpg in normal country driving.

If in doubt, have your potential purchase inspected and take out a warranty.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom