• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

S65 AMG - Sold

JamesRan

Car
W220 S65 AMG
Today was a sad day. The car is now sold.

It was my dream car for the best part of 10 years. The reasons for selling:

1. I live in South London and to get anywhere to open it up is a long drive and sitting in traffic
2. I have only driven it once a week on average for the last year, and it seems like a waste. It deserves better.
3. I got a good price, identical to what I paid last year
4. It has gone to a good home in Ireland - a family who own a SL65, a CL55, a S55, and now this.

Long live the beast that is the S65 AMG.

Now onto the next thing.....thinking about a new A45 (complete contrast I know).......

You can't go from a 65AMG to a toy car, what are you thinking?

That is a shame you got rid of your beautiful car. Changing it to a A45 AMG will not sort out your traffic problem in town... You will regret the change I can tell you! The S65 is far more comfortable...

You live in London therefore you need a Range Rover.

Gentleman, gentleman, relax. I am not definitely getting an A45, it is just a thought :)

I would like something light and nippy, not heavy and beastly to manoeuvre. Something easy to get in my garage, and something easy to park, not something that needs a bus stop and a reverse warning sound for nearby pedestrians.

I am still in love with the S65, and it was not an easy decision. If I was super rich I would have kept it forever, nurtured it, touched it in the night, kept it basked in the finest AutoGlym have to offer. But I am not super rich, therefor it is time to move on.

One shouldn't look at what yesterday has taken away, but what tomorrow has to offer.

I will get another MB Bi-Turbo V12 one day.....but not this day. When I move to the countryside in a few years I will indulge.

Until then....the A45 seems logical....but so does a C63 coupe....hmmmmmmm

I can see your logic having lived in SW London for some years.

C63 won't meet your nippy and manoeuvrable criteria plus BSeries aside the previous generation is in danger of becoming the new chav chariot of choice for many innit bruv etc.

I can see why the A45 appeals but I'd hang on for the facelift because rumour has it that's a much improved drive over the original.

Assuming you have no kids I'd be looking at a Boxster, Cayman or 911 if in your shoes. For something really left field I'd say an Alfa 4C.

A45 are bloody good!

In the wet they beat everything (at least everything available in the UK).

Just went from A45 to E63S Estate...

P.

I can see your logic having lived in SW London for some years.

C63 won't meet your nippy and manoeuvrable criteria plus BSeries aside the previous generation is in danger of becoming the new chav chariot of choice for many innit bruv etc.

I can see why the A45 appeals but I'd hang on for the facelift because rumour has it that's a much improved drive over the original.

Assuming you have no kids I'd be looking at a Boxster, Cayman or 911 if in your shoes. For something really left field I'd say an Alfa 4C.

Your empathy is appreciated. London is a bit of a mare.

Yes I am looking at the new A45 just released.......bolt some goodies onto it.....remap it.....bish bash bosh....wam bam thank you mam.

Whatever I get, it is going to be an AM-Gizzle for sure ya'll.

A45 are bloody good!

In the wet they beat everything (at least everything available in the UK).

Just went from A45 to E63S Estate...

P.

Good to know, thank you.....my confidence in the A45 is growing......

The issue you'll have with any smallish AMG or M Sport, RS, S-line type vehicle now is they will all feel like cart sprung uncomfortable go carts after an S65.

Ride is a big issue with London roads.

5.0 s/c v8 Range Rover is clearly the only sensible solution.

Last edited:
I'm surprised you binned it so soon.

I really enjoyed driving around London in my car when I had to - which was only slightly less size-wise to the S.

Each to their own though.

The facelift A45 has the adaptive/adjustable suspension which is my only gripe with mine; the hard ride. Smaller car than the C63 and with a hatch practical. More power on the new one too not that I've ever felt mine needed more. Be a massive difference to a S65 but must make more sense in the city to have the smaller car.

I'm surprised you binned it so soon.

I really enjoyed driving around London in my car when I had to - which was only slightly less size-wise to the S.

Each to their own though.

Not sure "binned" would be the right term. One bins an empty can of coke. One bins 17 year old socks. One does not bin a S65 AMG with 61,000 miles on it.

I felt, for me, for my own needs and wants, thinking selfishly, about my enjoyment, about my own money, about what I want, it just wasn't suitable. The car wasn't getting what is deserved.....a good run on a long road frequently.

It wasn't a decision taken lightly. One doesn't sell their dream car after 1 year on a whim. One takes ones time. One considers all options. One cares.

Not sure "binned" would be the right term. One bins an empty can of coke. One bins 17 year old socks. One does not bin a S65 AMG with 61,000 miles on it.

I felt, for me, for my own needs and wants, thinking selfishly, about my enjoyment, about my own money, about what I want, it just wasn't suitable. The car wasn't getting what is deserved.....a good run on a long road frequently.

It wasn't a decision taken lightly. One doesn't sell their dream car after 1 year on a whim. One takes ones time. One considers all options. One cares.

Have you been at the sauce? :D

Binned as in got rid of...

Get something with good seats and good ride if you are sitting in lots of traffic.
A45 is bottom of the list for me. Seats were ok when I tried, but not s class seats.
Ride is horrific compared to an S class.

Once the novelty of a new A45 has worn off i'm sure you'll regret buying it.

Get something with good seats and good ride if you are sitting in lots of traffic.
A45 is bottom of the list for me. Seats were ok when I tried, but not s class seats.
Ride is horrific compared to an S class.

Once the novelty of a new A45 has worn off i'm sure you'll regret buying it.

I fully understand what you mean. The thing is, I'm 29, and I feel I need something younger.....There is something magical about a £150,000 luxo barge that would destroy most performance cars in a race (in a drag race, it can't corner for shi*). I will get another S65 one day, but I am thinking in many years to come.

The only thing I am not sure on is the look of the A45.....is it too boy racerish....? Is it too Burberry? Is it too, dare I say, Mckenzie?

There is no comparison between an A45 and a S65. They are in 2 different leagues. One cannot compare. I will not look to compare my next car with the S, as there will be little point. I am not buying my next car for comfort.....although of course that will be important.....

I have requested a test drive today with MB Chelsea.....I will report back once I have been! If it is no good I will have to re-think :)

At 29, a long time ago, I was into large V8 automatic saloons - having done the lightweight racing cars in my mid 20s and hot hatches in the teens.

I probably had that "I should be driving something for younger viewers" thought but I in the end, I showed it the bird and just got on with starting to feel a bit older...

Since then I get the odd urge to have something like a Lancer FQ 400 but it disappears as I drive over a slightly bumpy road on air in SII mode as pretend I don't mind to myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom