Scanner help needed for abs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonykirt72

Car
Mercedes E320 cdi sport
I've replaced a brake pipe on rear of 2007 w211 e320 cdi, still having a spongy peddle after bleeding, I have a mb ii icarsoft sc scanner but can't find anyway to pulse the abs solenoids with it, dont know if I'm missing something or if car doesn't support this funtion, any other way to bleed it if it doesn't, using a pressure bleeder to do it, don't wanna replace master cylinder till I'm sure no air is trapped somewhere, many thanks

Im pretty sure i remember seeing a "bleed brakes" function in the service menu on my MB2, i think you can also disable the SBC before you do the job which releases fluid pressure.

2007 211 doesn't have SBC afaik

You`re right, it doesnt, 2006 onwards do not have SBC, unless it was a very late registration 2007.

Pressure bleeding should be enough. I expect you have something else wrong like a failed master cylinder.

Pressure bleeding should be enough. I expect you have something else wrong like a failed master cylinder.
It was fine before pipe split, didnt run out of fluid but just started getting spongy feel, will try bleeding it all again before trying new master cylinder

I had this issue when I replaced brake pipes, not a MB but same principle. Couldn't get anything like a decent pedal then tried using an eezibleed kit and it did the job fine. Don't dance on the brake pedal trying to bleed or you may knacker the seals and will need a new master cylinder.

Better to pressure bleed so you don't have to touch the brake pedal or if you don't have a pressure bleeder but do have time on your hands then a gravity bleed might be worth a try which in principle is the same as a pressure bleed except it's limited to the head pressure difference between the fluid reservoir and the caliper.

Gravity bleeding works for me every time on a simple fluid change because there is zero risk of introducing air as long as the reservoir is kept topped up. Whether or not it would clear air out already in the system is another thing.

Something I learned too many decades ago, when bleeding brakes give each caliper (or wheel cylinder) a couple of sharp taps with a 9/16 spanner (it has to be a 9/16 or it doesn't work;)) to loosen any small air bubbles that have adhered to the inside of the caliper.

Pressure bleeder should do it, although there will be a sequence to do the correct line first, usually the longest first working down to the shortest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom