• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Sliding door runners

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5 RWD / 2016 Suzuki Vitara AWD
We have a couple of sliding doors at home, fitted many years ago by a chippy, and the sliding mechanism has failed.

Can anyone advice what's the proper name, and where might I get a new one from?

The length is 143cm, the height 3cm.

Thank you in advance.

20240730-111906.jpg

20240730-110123.jpg

We have a couple of sliding doors at home, fitted many years ago by a chippy, and the sliding mechanism has failed.

Can anyone advice what's the proper name, and where might I get a new one from?

The length is 143cm, the height 3cm.

Thank you in advance.

20240730-111906.jpg

20240730-110123.jpg
“Sliding door runner track rails “ . Amazon has some as does eBay .

Are they wardrobe doors or room doors? If the latter, we had this barn door style installed a few months back - very pleased with it, though from the photos I’m not sure there is enough space?

Stainless steel sliding track

Looking at this one:

It seems simple enough.

My question is regarding safety - what stops the door from falling-over if it is lifted (other than the door potentially being too heavy for normal people to lift by mistake)? I would have expected there to be some sort of cover to prevent that? Any ideas?

We had the same door runners in our house, now got rid of. If you use the correct hinges, the doors could open flat against the wall as the runners do, much better in my opinion and a cleaner look, less painting, as there is no over the door screen hiding the runners.

We had the same door runners in our house, now got rid of. If you use the correct hinges, the doors could open flat against the wall as the runners do, much better in my opinion and a cleaner look, less painting, as there is no over the door screen hiding the runners.

The issue is that this is the door of a very small bathroom. A door swinging inwards will bump in the sanitary fixtures, while a door opening outwards into the corridor is a potential hazard for the grandchildren.....

Looking at this one:

It seems simple enough.

My question is regarding safety - what stops the door from falling-over if it is lifted (other than the door potentially being too heavy for normal people to lift by mistake)? I would have expected there to be some sort of cover to prevent that? Any ideas?
IIRC The rollers fit very snug into the Chanel so can not be simply lifted out.

Looking at the pics it looks like a face fix system, google face fix sliding door system

i dont think you will get the exact same system looking at how old they look, sliding systems have moved on quite a bit in the last 10 years

you just need to make sure a new system will work with the size of door you have, but cant see this being a problem

Thanks for all the replies... the problem is now solved.

The original issue was that the door was getting stuck.

I removed thr door only to discover that the sliding mechanism operates well without the door. I lubricated it with grease to be on the safe side, put back the door, and it was getting stuck again...

After some head scratching, I realised that the door wasn't getting stuck at the top... instead, what happened was that the chippy who fitted it used two screws half-protruding from the floorboards, as a slider... over the years, the metal screws made grooves on the inside of the aluminium rail at the bottom of the door, which caused the rough movement.

Bare screws removed, replaced with two plastic bits from my 'odds & sods' box screwed down as an improvised slider, some grease applied for good measure, and it's as good as new!

Thank you all again.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies... the problem is now solved.

The original issue was that the door was getting stuck.

I removed thr door only to discover that the sliding mechanism operates well without the door. I lubricated it with grease to be on the safe side, put back the door, and it was getting stuck again...

After some head scratching, I realised that the door wasn't getting stuck at the top... instead, what happened was that the chippy who fitted it used two screws half-protruding from the floorboards, as a slider... over the years, the metal screws made grooves on the inside of the aluminium rail at the bottom of the door, which caused the rough movement.

Bare screws removed, replaced with two plastic bits from my 'odds & sods' box screwed down as an improvised slider, some grease applied for good measure, and it's as good as new!

Thank you all again.
Isn't it soooo satisfying when you fix something for tupporth, especially when it utilises those 'odds & sods' your wife mocked you for keeping!

Isn't it soooo satisfying when you fix something for tupporth, especially when it utilises those 'odds & sods' your wife mocked you for keeping!

Absolutely! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom