• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Slow Puncture

Scouser51

Car
E Class
Hi fellow Mercedes owners, posting this for my son who has just bought a pre owned C Class cabriolet. He’s only had it two weeks, it came fitted with four new tyres. He is asking can a possible slow puncture be repaired?
Any rapid advice would be very much appreciated.

Provided the repair is across the main part of the tread, it should be able to be repaired with a plug.
I had one done recently for £20.
Any hole close to the shoulder of the tyre then, its a new one.

I have recently fitted our Rav with 5 new Michelin Coss Country tyres. . After a week got a screw through one of the rear tyres, having had 5 years on worn tyres without a problem.
Think that the new softer rubber just much more likely to pick up debris.
Mine was repaired as it was in the middle of the tyre not the sidewall, cost £20.
Slow puncture could be something similar, faulty valve or a badly fitted tyre or even a cracked rim,
Needs looking at either by the garage that sold it or your local tyre depot

May not be a puncture, depending on age, the alloys can corrode and air can escape between the tyre and the wheel rim. do the wheels look OK?

As above.

Foreign object - find the puncture, and repair if possible

Leaking valve - replace the valve

Leaking rim - remove tyre, clean rim, refit with sealant

Cracked rim - inspect, then weld or replace as needed

Porous tyres - replace tyres

A tyre fitter will inflate the tyre to 50 psi (or thereabouts) then place it in a tub of water, and presto the source of the leak will reveal itself.

I would expect any tyre fitting outfit would remove the wheel and immerse it in a drum of water to find the leak anyway.
As mentioned it could be a number of possibilities other than an actual puncture.

One of my tyres had a slow deflation, turned out to be leaking around the tyre rim.
The local tyre fitter removed the tyre, cleaned all the inner wheel rim with a mild abrasive wire brush, painted on some black sealer, refitted and balanced the lot for £25, that fixed the leak.

One of my tyres had a slow deflation, turned out to be leaking around the tyre rim.
The local tyre fitter removed the tyre, cleaned all the inner wheel rim with a mild abrasive wire brush, painted on some black sealer, refitted and balanced the lot for £25, that fixed the leak.
I had this problem with my old mk1 mx5. Cleaning the inner rim and reseating the tyres worked for a few weeks only. I ended up with 4 new wheels.
Don’t forget to check the Schrader valve under the valve cap - soapy water or a bit of spit will do the trick.
Mark

Take it to a tire shop and they will find a leak by dipping the wheel in a big tub of water and watching where the bubbles are coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom