Sorry...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So not Rolls Royce, Bentley or Ferrari then ?

Statistics don't always tell the story that people want to hear.

That Popemobile, for example. Nice motor, but its owner doesn't earn more than £75k a year. (He's on a third of that - but tax free)

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 17.33.03.png

Pope Francis gets paid around $300,000 a year but donates most of the money to the poor.
Got a reliable source for that ?

If he's on that much, according to Meldrew2, he should be tooling around in at least a BMW 118i

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 17.55.11.png

Got a reliable source for that ?

If he's on that much, according to Meldrew2, he should be tooling around in at least a BMW 118i

View attachment 153527
Just type in Pope Francis salary on the Google thing.....this one recons its more $32,000 per MONTH!

Just type in Pope Francis salary on the Google thing.....this one recons its more $32,000 per MONTH!
You think www.marca.com - the top Italian sports website is a reliable source?

What does the Daily Express say?

How much do you think the Pontiff needs to spend on fags and Chianti ?

Is there an echo in here? 😉

I love statistics…bet there’s another table that’s been omitted for those ‘earning over £100k’ with all those Rolls-Royce, Bentley and Ferrari owners that Mike mentions (along with Porsche, McLaren, Aston Martin etc)

Perhaps if you interpret the data in a meaningful way is shows that BMW are cheaper and more attainable, or more ‘common’ :p

BMW are cheaper and more attainable, or more ‘common’ :p

Locally, at least, BMW have an excellent family owned dealership that really goes the extra mile to look after their customers. For instance my wife does very low mileage and they have taken her X1 into their workshop to charge the battery overnight on more than one occasion, returning it washed and polished and without charge!

I was a happy Mercedes owner for several years until our local dealer treated me rather shabbily on more than one occasion. It's not just car quality that is important, the main dealer experience is also very relevant - at least for private owners.

Locally, at least, BMW have an excellent family owned dealership that really goes the extra mile to look after their customers. For instance my wife does very low mileage and they have taken her X1 into their workshop to charge the battery overnight on more than one occasion, returning it washed and polished and without charge!

I was a happy Mercedes owner for several years until our local dealer treated me rather shabbily on more than one occasion. It's not just car quality that is important, the main dealer experience is also very relevant - at least for private owners.
Understood. It's a genuine issue in our modern "corporate world." I loathe dealing with my local MB dealership, but maybe that's because I'm not Russian.

I was just teasing on the income thing. Londoners know income ain't wealth.

A £100k income for a 25 year old in London means 66% marginal income tax and not enough to get a mortgage on a 2 bed flat near work.

(And most haven't even learned to drive at that age, and certainly don't want to waste money running a car.)

Life's different in Southport.

Those stats are misleading. Range Rover buyers aren't as poor as it suggests.

Last edited:

Screenshot-20240220-230553-Mail-Online.jpg

Screenshot-20240220-230614-Mail-Online.jpg

Again, a good example of spinning some stats to sell a story

If you're running a company, or a wage slave for a company, the 2% Benefit in Kind tax charge for having the use of an EV makes it a no-brainer choice, no matter how rubbish a plasticky Tesla 3, or MG4 actually is.

If you're driving into London's congestion zone daily, again that £3k a year saving for an EV owner is nothing to be sniffed at.

Do the rich own EV's? The average new Bentley buyer has eight cars at her disposal, so the fact that one of them "might" be an EV, doesn't tell you much about whether she also owns petrol Ferraris, Jaguar, BMW's and even Mercedes.

Is a household "rich" if the two nurses in that household have a combined income, before tax, of £66k ? (Average nurse income in the UK is £33k according to the Royal College of Nursing). Nurses certainly don't think they are.

Three million households are pensioners with more than a million quid in pension assets, housing and other assets. Are they rich? Yes. Are they likely to be running EV's? Nope.

Revealed: The 10 car brands that will make others think you're well off​

I love these 'one size fits all' articles. When I was making around that level, I'm willing to bet that no-one looked at my VW Transporter with 150,000 miles on it and thought "Blimey, Mikey must be minted/as poor as a church mouse"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom