Spacesaver or gunk & pump?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Think about it here. What are you saying? FTSE100 companies generally have a target for CO2 from their vehicles. We have 130g/km. Why? Because of an EU directive? Or because the UK government incentives low CO2 vehicles for fleet operators. Also is it because of a EU directive or because from a CSR perspective they want to show shareholders and stakeholders they are trying to minimise the impact of their fleet. There is a demand for lower CO2 vehicles from business and this is what drives Mercedes et al to produce lower CO2 vehicles. But hey blame the EU is easier. This is why we are in the mess we are in now. Business wants to reduce its impact on the environment as does government but hey you know better.

Reducing CO2 emissions from passenger cars - Climate Action - European Commission
Taken from the above:

Cars are responsible for around 12% of total EU emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2), the main greenhouse gas.

Since 2009, EU legislation sets mandatory emission reduction targets for new cars. The first targets apply since 2015. Stricter targets will apply from 2021 on, with a phase-in from 2020.

On 17 April 2019, the European Parliament and the Council adopted Regulation (EU) 2019/631 setting CO2 emission performance standards for new passenger cars and for new light commercial vehicles (vans) in the EU for the period after 2020. The new Regulation will start applying on 1 January 2020.

Until that date, the current Regulation setting CO2 emission standards for cars will apply, as summarised on this page.

2015 target
Since 2015, a target of 130 grams of CO2 per kilometre applies for the EU fleet-wide average emission of new passenger cars.

Emissions of 130 g CO2/km correspond to a fuel consumption of around 5.6 litres per 100 km (l/100 km) of petrol or 4.9 l/100 km of diesel.

This EU fleet-wide target was already reached in 2013, two years ahead of schedule.

According to provisional data, the average emissions level of the new cars registered in 2018 in the EU and Iceland were 120.4 g CO2/km (EEA data). Since 2010, average emissions have decreased by 20 g CO2/km (14.2%).

2021 target
From 2021, phased in from 2020, the EU fleet-wide average emission target for new cars will be 95 g CO2/km.

This emission level corresponds to a fuel consumption of around 4.1 l/100 km of petrol or 3.6 l/100 km of diesel.

Specific emission targets for manufacturers
The binding emission targets for manufacturers are set according to the average mass of their vehicles, using a limit value curve. This means that manufacturers of heavier cars are allowed higher emissions than manufacturers of lighter cars. The curve is set in such a way that the targets for the EU fleet-wide average emissions are achieved.

Phase-in of requirements
The target of 130 g/km was phased in between 2012 and 2015.

A phase-in period will also apply to the target of 95 g/km. In 2020, the emission targets will apply for each manufacturer’s 95% least emitting new cars. From 2021 on, the average emissions of all newly registered cars of a manufacturer will have to be below the target.

So it is not the EU then?

I am not saying that the aims are not laudible and benefit all of us but it would help if the defenders of the EU had some balance as well

I was informed by my stealer on the last service (4years old)) That my gunk was out of date and a new one was almost £50.....I can get a can at the local petrol station for less than a tenner...but does it mean its no good when out of date?

I was informed by my stealer on the last service (4years old)) That my gunk was out of date and a new one was almost £50.....I can get a can at the local petrol station for less than a tenner...but does it mean its no good when out of date?
Probably, anything with a shelf life will start to break down into seperate components after so many years, it might last for a bit longer, but how would you know?

Space saver is a far better option but you could always carry one of the ''motor cycle'' tyre repair kits. Basically a ''plug'' like the tyre shops use to mend car tyres. My mate has used them a couple of times & they work just as good on car tyres.

Spacesaver in mine, thought it was a full size initially till I had a better look

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom