"speed-buster"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SimonsMerc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Merc S212 E350 CDI BlueEfficiency Sport 256bhp, Suzuki GSX-650F, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Dynamic
Hey folks,

Is it just me, or does speed-buster (www.speed-buster.co.uk) seem to be a very dodgy outfit?

I get the feeling for a couple of reasons. First of all, looking at their website, while the front page loads and looks fine, it seems none of the detailed information pages actually load. For instance, when I went to see what they could do for my car, I went to http://www.speed-buster.co.uk/mercedes.htm and got a 404 from IIS (bah, site running on windows too).

So I started looking through these forums. And it seems that wherever there is a reccomendation for these guys, it's by members who have very few posts and have only been registered by a short while.

So...does anyone established here have any thoughts on these guys? Is it even worth giving them a call/email? Or is this a cowboy outfit with dirty self-promotion tactics? Any forum admin care to comment on the posts on these guys?

Thanks,

-simon

Very odd. Why the hell would they sell chips for a John Deere tractor????!!!!!???

I dealt with them 18 months ago and found them very helpful. since then iVe had three other units delivered all as promised. ihave always been able to contact them and he has returned my calls when i left messages for him.

Hello, I am the so called 'dodgy outfit' I am Chris of Speed-buster UK.

The reason for the 404 error on the website is because of the new tuning kits that we have produced, we have to go through all the product numbers and new performance results for the new online shop but it’s a big job, and the web site has had to take a back seat at the moment.

We sell John Deere tuning boxes because I have several friends who own working farms, they promote these to other farmers, they will of course want information in the future, hence building it in to the site.
We also cater for lorry/truck engines but that is a different part of the company.

We supply to over 30 dealerships in the UK and sell to many other companies who re-brand these tuning kits as their own.

Last edited:
Hi, Chris told me about this thread, I'm the guy in charge of the web site. Yes, it was a rush job, yes, we have a lot of information to get up there, and yes, getting people their chips is more important that how we look or don't look at the moment!!

I've fixed the broken link issue, only to be met with a problem with putting the file back up there which I can't fix at this time of night. If it doesn't cure itself I'll be making a phone call tomorrow, after which time we'll have a cosmetically excellent, if not fully functional web presence!

Hello mate :D Its good of you to come on here and explain whats what :) and to give some more info on your buisines. Its all to easy to knock a website from just looking at it from face value. And i hold my hands up to being guilty here :eek:

Good luck and i hope you get the site sorted out soon :)

BTW, the site looks great :cool:

Stu

Last edited:
cheers Stu, it looks even more dodgy now.......... i told Ian about the site and now the whole thing has fell over at the web server end.

ian is number 5 in the queue to the hosts @0040hrs !!!

well it couldnt get any worse

TOPH said:
Hello, I am the so called 'dodgy outfit' I am Chris of Speed-buster UK.
Hey there! It's good to see a fast response to a forum like this - I withdraw my "potential dodgy outfit" allegation :)

The detailed information for mercedes is still coming back with a 404 error, but that's fine - I perfectly understand that for a small company, you're going to have other priorities. The reason I asked the question here was that, after all, this is the interenet, so what's on your web site is all that I see. I've been cheated by online "retailers" before, who take your money and then vanish without delivering goods, and don't answer their throw-away mobile phone contacts and one-use emails, and it's not a nice feeling. Since I've come to trust the opinions of folk on this forum, it was the right place to ask the question!

So, I guess I'll be emailing you a request for the cost of chipping my car, and the performance differences that the chip would make (as my insurance company needs to know what kind of a difference in power and torque the chip would make if applied).

Thinking back to the web-site, you could think about getting someone to do it for you very cheaply - I used to (a few years back) do this kind of thing for small companies all the time, where they'd send me their information in whatever format they had (printed matter mostly) and just let me make it available for them. While I don't do that any more, there are loads of people who do, and because they're mainly poor students, you don't have to pay them an arm and a leg to do it.

Anyway, thanks for the response - I'm sure this thread will be positive PR for you guys in the future :)

-simon

The Merc page will still give an error - it still doesn't exist. The images are now not links though, so you should never be able to get there unless you have the direct address as per your first post.

The site is a good price as we're doing it in-house anyway, which I suppose is basically free ;)

Its more of a time issue, loads of cars, some have different fitments within model and all have standard figures, tuned figures, a pic etc. Nightmare!

I'll tell Chris you'll be emailing!! :)

Hi,

just wanted to say I had a quick response from Chris when I emailed him about my e320 cdi, and a very thorough response too. Still havnt ordered an upgrade yet as I'm still pondering the insurance and warranty implications, although 250 bhp from a 320cdi is still very attractive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom