Sprint Booster CL500 C215 2004

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What is it, and what is the issue with whose engines that it protects against, and how?

It's a #2 Lanchester balancer shaft out of a VAG 2.0 TDI .

The original 6 x 77mm drive key has an oil pump cassette the other end that's retained by a circlip .

Oil pump drive is lost through the balancer shaft keyway wearing as it is not deep enough , hard enough and isn't even hexagonal but a 15mm deep bore with 6 tiny machined grooves to accept the very tips of the hex key .

The hex key also wears and if just 0.5mm is lost then it rounds and spins , oil pump drive is gone .

Compounded by a stupid low oil pressure warning that only operates above 2,000 rpm.

In the early days before the discovery this could see people fitting new oil pressure sensors and having it idle for many minutes all the time with no oil flow .

VAG did improve the design with a longer 100mm key and deeper balancer shaft keyway that then provided 35mm contact length as can be seen when withdrawn and a smaller amount of wear is observed .

The bullet proof remanufactured modified kit is the 100mm key but the balancer shaft receives a deeper keyway by it not being recessed at it's beginning and harder materials and actually hexagonal !

This sees a 38-40mm contact length and now surface area contact .

In Poland their solution is to oversize both the key and keyway .

But you'll still get confusion about it as some think that just a renewed 77mm key will surfice or they can fit the longer 100mm key which would be impossible .

It's a #2 Lanchester balancer shaft out of a VAG 2.0 TDI .

The original 6 x 77mm drive key has an oil pump cassette the other end that's retained by a circlip .

Oil pump drive is lost through the balancer shaft keyway wearing as it is not deep enough , hard enough and isn't even hexagonal but a 15mm deep bore with 6 tiny machined grooves to accept the very tips of the hex key .

The hex key also wears and if just 0.5mm is lost then it rounds and spins , oil pump drive is gone .

Compounded by a stupid low oil pressure warning that only operates above 2,000 rpm.

In the early days before the discovery this could see people fitting new oil pressure sensors and having it idle for many minutes all the time with no oil flow .

VAG did improve the design with a longer 100mm key and deeper balancer shaft keyway that then provided 35mm contact length as can be seen when withdrawn and a smaller amount of wear is observed .

The bullet proof remanufactured modified kit is the 100mm key but the balancer shaft receives a deeper keyway by it not being recessed at it's beginning and harder materials and actually hexagonal !

This sees a 38-40mm contact length and now surface area contact .

In Poland their solution is to oversize both the key and keyway .

But you'll still get confusion about it as some think that just a renewed 77mm key will surfice or they can fit the longer 100mm key which would be impossible .
Whats this got to do with the price of cheese 😵‍💫

That's often the case with threads; where you end up is nowhere near where you started.

Mind you, it's a bit of a long shot to suggest that VAG planned it that way. Touch of the conspiracy theorist there, perhaps?

Which cheese did you have in mind, anyway?

I'd have to ask why you'd need improved throttle response on a N/A petrol V8? I can understand it on a turbo-diesel. I drive a Vito 2.2 turbodiesel auto van for work during the week & when I get in my CLS at the weekend with the same engine as yours (M113) the first throttle application almost breaks my neck until I re-calibrate my brain 😂

Edit: Ah OK, watching that Youtube video it looks like the throttle pedal is calibrated differently on the CL to the CLS. Mine seems pretty instant.

Last edited:
If it's the same setup in the M113 CL500 as in the E500 of the same vintage, the throttle lag under certain conditions is quite noticeable (and quite irritating).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom